I need to make a multiplayer version of my game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/I need to make a multiplayer version of my game

Jon Pool(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hello.
I am looking to make a multiplayer version of my pool game.
It should not be to intensive, I think. My plan is to have the angles of the cue and power, and spin etc sent to the server only when a player strikes the ball. Its not like a real time game. more like a board game. (well the point im trying to make is timing is not that critical).
Anyway, iv only got 1 net connection at this time, so im gonna need some help.
So, if anyone is making a multiplayer game. and wants to swap code, and beta testing. or if you've got some advice on where to begin ;)
message me.
cheers.
ps you can get a free copy of my pool game in my sig.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
There was some trick you could do (and I say this having never done much network stuff), where you can run your game twice, on the same PC, and play each as if you're separate computers on a network.

Can't remember how to do it, though. Probably connect to localhost instead of a remote IP.

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#3]
Feel free to send me an email if you like.. Ive created a realtime action multiplayer game, and while the game itself never really got much traction the multiplayer aspects work darn well.

You could easily show the opponents stick orientation in real time with very little network traffic, when they release the shot just send the angle, and power and run the same physics on each machine. If the physics are proper you should not have to communicate each ball. For redundancy only perhaps send data to confirm when a ball is sunk.

If you are already opening a steady connection, then in my opinion you might as well increase the experience by showing each others cue stick movements , perhaps a chat window ect.. these things require very little data.. you could send 2-3 cue orientations per second and interpolate that, since its not an action game a little ghosting lag should not be a problem. Just resend the shot data when they release to set up the physics for the shot identical on each machine.

Jon Pool(Posted 2013) [#4]
Hi GfK
This looks interesting, to test in the future, but for now i want to make at least one online network connection prog, then tweak it using your method.
Cheers.

Hi RifRaf
You say your game "never really got much traction" thats a shame and a worrying sign of the times.
i tried to download your game but it wouldn't say what size the file was. Im on mobile internet, can you tell me the file size?
"If you are already opening a steady connection, then in my opinion you might as well increase the experience by showing each others cue stick movements" Yes indeed.
For redundancy, I plan to have it so when at the end of a shot and all balls have stopped (visibly) moving, to lock the velocities of each ball to 0, then check on both machines that the position of each ball is in the same place on both pcs.
I'll email you soon.
Thanks.

RifRaf(Posted 2013) [#5]
Jon, i think the last upload was about 50 ish mb. However I will be pulling the site soon so its not really worth your time as its multiplayer only, and requires the site to hold server listings and such.

Ill keep an eye out for your email