Expecting Variable Assignment

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Expecting Variable Assignment

Jklinestiver(Posted 2013) [#1]
I am trying to mod a program by increasing the amount of characters that is allowed and keep on getting Expecting Variable Assignment. I have no coding exp and am totally new too this so I am kinda stuck where I am at trying to figure it out on my own. Anyone have any helpful hints and advice for tools for someone that is new to coding that does not cost a lot?

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#2]
Can you post the relevant section of code?

That message means there's some error in what you wrote, but it doesn't really narrow it down (and errors being what they are, the real one might not be what B3D thinks it is).

Jklinestiver(Posted 2013) [#3]
How do I find that?

Bobysait(Posted 2013) [#4]
enable the debugger and run the program, blitz will highlight the error
Post it here, we'll explain is wrong in your declaration.

Jklinestiver(Posted 2013) [#5]
I think this is it, the cursor was blinking next to it.

cupChar(cyc)b)=ReadInt(file)

MCP(Posted 2013) [#6]
You have an extra closing ')' in cupChar()

Jklinestiver(Posted 2013) [#7]
now it says Expecting'Next'.

Code

cupBracket(cyc),b,count)=ReadInt(file)

Jklinestiver(Posted 2013) [#8]
Also trying to set resolution too 1920x1080.

Bobysait(Posted 2013) [#9]
to modify the resolution, search somewhere in the program a
"Graphics ...."
or a "Graphics3D ...."
then replace the 2 first parameters with 1920,1080.

for your error, you have to know :
- Each opened bracket MUST be closed, so each Closed bracket MUST have a bracket opened before.

Here you have 2 closed bracket for only one opened.

and the syntax seems really weird ... your cupBracket seems to be a 3 dimension array, so it should be something like :

cupBracket(cyc,b,count)=ReadInt(file)

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#10]
I am trying to mod a program

Purely out of curiosity, Which program are you "modding"?

Jklinestiver(Posted 2013) [#11]
I am increasing the roster size of TWC4 fight too 900 so that I can fit all my mods into the game. 90 wrestlers per fed. 9 feds.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#12]

_PJ_(Posted 2013) [#13]
To be honest, Jklinestiver, and I appreciate you're new to this, but it's considerably ambitious to try 'modding' a program without any real grasp of the language - it's no wonder you're running into compilation/syntax errors at every turn.

The best thing would be for you to spend a little time, go through some tutorials, check out the documentation for commands and perhaps try coding a very simple game of your own first, to get you used to Blitz.

When posting code for others to try to help analyse your problem, one single line is rarely if ever going to be adequate. Admiottedly, it's probably impractical to post an entire game, so :

If the line in which the error occurs is within a Function, post the entire function

If the line in which the error occurs contains variables, arrays or calls to other functions, perhaps give a description of these, copy their declaration or population lines, or the function declarations.

Hope that can help.