text creation in 3d games

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/text creation in 3d games

gerald(Posted 2013) [#1]
Is it possible to make text for signs etc in blitz 3d games? Is there a set of alphabet entities available? Does wings 3d have text available? I don't mean "shadow" 3d writing. I want entities for writing, RIP on gravestone etc.

Thanks,
Gerald

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#2]
If you want to write letters and/or numbers and/or symbols on a gravestone or a sign,
i think you can either
create a texture with code and write letters and/or numbers and/or symbols on it and then apply this texture on a mesh (you will need to UVMap the mesh)
or
create a texture manually in a image editing software and apply it on a mesh (you will need to UVMap the mesh)

For a good render, it is important to choose the appropriate texture width and height and the appropriate font size so that the text is not stretched. Also you will need a good UVMap, a flat surface is easier to UVMap than a curved surface.
You can create a mesh and UVMap the mesh with Wings3d. See the tutorials on youtube.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2013) [#3]
Use the D3D plugin.

Kippykip(Posted 2013) [#4]
if your making text on a gravestone/sign etc, go to your favorite image editing tool and make text and type whatever then goto your favorite model tool and mount the texture to the sign

If your making 3D text in your game, use 3ds max and make a text "type whatever inside" then export in obj or max/3ds (if you want .b3d, export in obj, go to milkshape 3d (if you don't own it, you may require it) and import obj then export blitz basic 3d)

gerald(Posted 2013) [#5]
Thanks,

I found the click box in wings3d, next to the word text in the menu to put in your own text. I thought it only made the wings3d logo. My bad.
Gerald