3d animated models

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3d animated models

airborne(Posted 2012) [#1]
So I'm attempting to add a 3d animated model (from blender)but no matter what I do I cant seem to get it to run the animation I did in blender. I've looked around and can't seem to find much information on how to properly do this. I'm not sure whether it's the coding in Blitz, or if I just didn't do something right in blender. I completed the animation sequence in blender, rendered animation, and exported as a .3ds file. Then inserted the following codeline into blitz. Any ideas?

***EDIT***
using the following code, I determined that it is a problem within blender, not with Blitz... if anyone has any experience with animated characters in blender, please feel free to post any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Last edited 2012

Matty(Posted 2012) [#2]
I'm not sure if 3ds models have animation?

If you want an animated model in blitz the best solution is with b3d or md2...it is possible to do hiearchical (not mesh deformation or bone deformation) animation with other formats but I'm not sure how you'd achieve that in blender.

airborne(Posted 2012) [#3]
I'll try to export it as b3d... so weird cuz this example is from the tutorials and it loads a .3ds file.... sigh

airborne(Posted 2012) [#4]
I opened the .3ds file in MilkShape, and exported it as a .b3d file. This made the problem worse, I believe if Blender had exported any information on the animation cycle it was lost when it reached MilkShape. As soon as I attempted to run the code in Blitz, I got the "Entity does not exist" error, which was highlighted under Animate sphere,2.

This is rather weird, I had expected this error to be encountered with LoadAnimMesh.

Now that I think on it, it makes sense. As if attempting to load a normal mesh, the LoadMesh command isn't highlighted, the PositionEntity or the ScaleEntity etc... is highlighted.

The thing that confuses me is that typically this error is only encountered if the source file is not located within the program folder. The only thing I can see that would be causing this problem is that the exported file ended up as a mesh and not an animated image.

The problem with this theory is that the original .3ds file loaded fine, it just didn't animate.