Please test my app+level map

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Please test my app+level map

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#1]
(New, simple loader that doesn't use fastextensions)

http://sites.google.com/site/mikorians/ArcGBldg.zip

gradualcheetah(Posted 2012) [#2]
very nice, just a heads up, when i get far enough away from the glass door on the first floor i get some Z-fighting

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#3]
I see 3 problems in your code that may produce this rendering problems.

1)The difference between the max value and the min value of the CameraRange must not exceed 1000, else it will produce z-ordering problems.
See this post :
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=98868#1158099

You can do several renders if you want to have at the same time a near view range and a far view range.

2)Your meshes are too big ! Not in tris but in scale !
If you want to have characters with the size of humans, you can for example set the"Eyes" of a character at 1.7 and set the Camera as a child of the Eyes pivot.

Then scale your world so that it is at the correct size compared to the scale of the character.
You can use FitMesh()

3)Some tris may be at the exact same position you have to make sure to avoid this.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#4]
SO---

Nobody had any trouble actually

LOADING BOTH of the map components, and nothing DISAPPEARED
after wandering through the scene objects and looking all about then?

Please state your system configurations, video card memory, and OS

I am trying to make this work on a very old system with mixed results. This was to be for compatibility purposes.

Last edited 2012

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#5]
I have seen only what seems to be z-ordering problems, but as explained in my previous post, your CameraRange() values are not appropriate and the scale of your world is way too big.

Why don't your try to do this 2 things correctly before saying it is Blitz3d fault.

Specs :
Lenovo Thinkpad E325, DualCore AMD E-450 APU 1.65Ghz, 6 Go DDR3-1333, Radeon HD 6320 Graphics 384 mo, Windows 7 Home Premium

Last edited 2012

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#6]
I have tried adjusting the camera with no change.
I am aware of the zorder issues.
I am not blaming here. It's probably the limitations of my hardware I can see.
So you looked straight up and nothing happened. Wandered around a bit, and everything stayed.

Last edited 2012

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#7]
If anything, this proves that it ISN'T B3D. Perhaps just W98SE's implementation of it... Ha.
A bit more testing and streamlining. Gives more confidence to hear that other folks have no problems with the level.
It's the largest level I have dared use to date.
The problem may go away on the XP machine.

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#8]
I just got around to testing this now and similar to RemiD, the only problem I experience is a little bit of Z-fighting (aside note: Z-fighting is an ordering problem, but it's caused by Z-buffer granularity rather than loading or rendering order issues and has rather different solutions).

If you're on Windows 98SE... uh, that's your problem right there. The OS is way, waaaaaaaay obsolete and deprecated. You'd actually be much better off using Linux+Wine than such an outdated version of Windows, if you can't afford (cash or machine resources) to upgrade to a newer one.

By the way, it's not just a matter of compatibility. Windows 98 is not a secure operating system. If you are on the internet, you have viruses. For the sake of your network neighbours, please stop using it and help reinforce herd immunity.

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#9]

(aside note: Z-fighting is an ordering problem, but it's caused by Z-buffer granularity rather than loading or rendering order issues and has rather different solutions).

I don't understand what you mean, but ok let's say it is Z-fighting.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
Well they're different things: it depends which one you experienced. I only saw Z-fighting, but Mikorians has in the past seen actual ordering problems too, so it could be machine-dependent.

Z-fighting is caused when the distance between two objects is too small for the Z-buffer to determine which one is in front, and you end up with a flickering stripey mess as two polygons try to be drawn in the same place. Because the granularity of the Z-buffer is not constant or linear, how badly it affects objects is determined by how far they are from the camera so it disappears as they get closer; and the camera Z-precision curve is directly dependent on camera range too.

So you can solve Z-fighting by:

-- reducing the total camera range so that everything within range gets to enjoy better proportional Z-precision

-- moving objects further apart so that they need less precision for the polygons to be ordered

-- culling parts of the scene that are obscured (which would help in this particular instance where the bottoms of objects are fighting through the floor below them: if you're below the floor you obviously shouldn't see those objects anyway)

Z-fighting is not specific to B3D or even DirectX 7, but affects all drawing APIs: how badly it affects them is determined by the depth of the Z-buffer. In 32-bit mode, Blitz3D has a 24-bit Z-buffer which is more or less standard for gaming. (You shouldn't ever use 16-bit mode because it's completely pointless, but if you do the Z-buffer depth is significantly worse which is why there's an option to use a W-buffer instead.)

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#11]
So i guess that Z-ordering problems is what we see when a mesh is displayed before another mesh (when it should not) because they both have alpha ?

Or when one surface of a mesh is displayed before another surface of the same mesh (when it should not) because they both have alpha ?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#12]
Z-ordering problems are related to alpha (usually).

Z-fighting has nothing to do with alpha and affects everything.

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#13]
Thank you for testing. It's when two polygons share almost the same area in space and the card can't decide who comes first.

So...
P4 3.4Ghz 1GB, NVidiaFX5500 256MB, Win98SE
Just can't load the scene of this magnitude?
Is this gonna be a DirectX7 Limitation then?
My Dx8 engine in VB6 had no problems with this for years.
We just went slower...

Last edited 2012

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#14]
The test system isn't connected to the web.
Don't dis the 98.. heh.. 10% of people in forward thinking Brazil still use it.

Last edited 2012

RemiD(Posted 2012) [#15]
Yasha>>Thanks, i will try to use the right words next time !

Mikorians(Posted 2012) [#16]
You didn't mention which object's surface had so many vertexes, I need to verify my exporter's correct function (or my scene)

Kippykip(Posted 2013) [#17]
Very nice and smooth!
you sir are pro!

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#18]
Mikorians: I'm from Brazil, and I haven't seen a Win98 box for ages...
(I used to have one, but once the PSU died, I didn't even bother to get another one)

And I agree: don't ditch Win98 that easily. I used for years, and if you don't use Internet Explorer (go for Firefox!), and have your own firewall, you're as safe as any modern OS.

In the other hand: using Win98 these days is a waste of time. Go at least for XP: any machine with ~1Ghz and 512mb RAM should run XP easily.

Kippykip(Posted 2013) [#19]
I have a windows 98 laptop (Used to be xp and now it's like a super 90's gaming computer xD) but it broke on the weekend :c