What GUI system would you recommend?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/What GUI system would you recommend?

gradualcheetah(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am needing a GUI system. I am looking into DevilGUI but, i can't seem to find a way to re-skin the GUI so it fits in my game. any help or suggestions?

gradualcheetah(Posted 2012) [#2]
wow im dumb, i found the SDK for the GUI system but i am looking for a partical system if anyone knows of a good one please let me know! :)

psychicbottle(Posted 2012) [#3]
ok so i have looked at both BlitzUi and DevilGUI and have one issue that is larger than most people probably think but i think it is graphically very very important.

right now using those editors, the windows have to be, well, windows! haha my point being they are square. anybody have any suggestions on how i can make the window an actual say image? just with all the gadgets on it. For example in "oblivion" Much of the GUI happens on a parchment or a scroll. i would like to be able to do this and it seems reasonable that someone else HAS already done this as it would look much better for a fantasy/Medieval game.

any help? :D

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
For a "game-style" UI I wouldn't recommend the normal GUI packages, they're all focused on the "app-style". You'd do better with a sprite/interaction framework that can display arbitrary images and react to inputs (and can function as a GUI by tying these together in a fast-and-loose way).

The best sprite framework is Draw3D 2, which as it happens has a rather extended set of UI functionality built in anyway (its predecessor was pretty good too).

Note that 3D-based sprite systems will also be much faster than anything using the 2D engine, because of hardware acceleration (the main exception to this is WinBlitz3D, which uses real Windows GUI widgets and is therefore also accelerated).

Last edited 2012

psychicbottle(Posted 2012) [#5]
Ok so draw 3D 2 should be fairly fast and effective?

psychicbottle(Posted 2012) [#6]
Does anyone feel up to giving me a quick rundown of all the functions in draw3d2 that i would need for GUI? im trying to see but a lot of it is German ;P