Blitz 3d - Essential Libraries?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz 3d - Essential Libraries?

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#1]
For adding things like shadows and more advanced graphical effects what are some of the best Libraries for Blitz3d?

So far this is the best contender based upon my research:
http://fastlibs.com/

Does anyone know of any Pros/Cons with this extension? Thanks!

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Pros:
-- works seamlessly with Blitz3D, really stable
-- cheap
-- Most "serious" B3D-ers treat Mikhail's extensions as semi-standard, so it's very widely used and accepted as normal and people can help with it
-- Has lots of really nice effects

Cons:
-- DirectX 7 based (it's only an extension, not an engine replacement), with all that entails - no shaders, may be slower on modern systems, etc.

The only other serious suggestions are total-engine-replacement libraries like Xors, SoftPixel, or generic 3D engines. Some people still use AShadow, but as far as I know it's a dead product with no support or updates so I would stay away from that. There's also the Devil Engines addon selection, but it's also not actively developed (Devil's Child does at least answer questions though), and a lot of people have found incompatibilities and bugs with it.

In conclusion, yeah FastExtension is probably the best option short of a total-engine-replacement, and if you're going to do that, why are you even using Blitz3D?

-- FastImage is also the best 2D library that I've seen (although there are plenty of others that come close in this area, so don't rush to it if you're low on funds).
-- I have had no use for FastText myself (B3D doesn't support Unicode properly no matter how you wing it, and rendering text ain't hard with any image library).
-- FastPointer is indispensable once you learn how powerful it is. This one's free, so grab it anyway even if you don't start using it today.

Addi(Posted 2012) [#3]
Haven't used them but have a look at:
-ParticleCandy
-SpriteCandy

Think that tere are some effects in Draw3D too :D

;)
Look at the German BB Website

Last edited 2012

Kryzon(Posted 2012) [#4]
If you're serious about it, you can get a new engine like Xors3D or Leadwerks.

They both preserve the B3D dogma to some extent while giving you access to new features.

Last edited 2012

Yue(Posted 2012) [#5]
fastlibs recommended, the slogan is no matter what tools do a video game, just what matters is the product.

Greetings.

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#6]
Really I am only interested in some dynamic shadows and some more lighting options. I don't need Bloom lighting or anything super fancy.

My only concern with some of these engine replacements is that some appear to not run on Windows 7 or certain hardware. I tested project Tecno on a few different machines at my school and they all returned "Memory Access Violation" after 3 seconds in the game. Another one I tried called Tank Universal 2 had sluggish performance at times. After some 3d tweaks it ran better but still pretty disappointing.

For anyone on XP anything on Blitz3d is golden. So far using stock Blitz3d I have had no performance or stability issues. So at this time I am not looking for a total Blitz3d replacement.

Last edited 2012

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#7]
The Purchase option is sadly broken on the website. I am trying to contact the author to correct the issue.

http://fastlibs.com/

Addi(Posted 2012) [#8]
Hmm for me it works.
Which of them do you want to use?

Imperium(Posted 2012) [#9]
I'd like to purchase the Complete set of libraries. Strangely enough on my home PC the order page loads just fine. However at my school and my wife's house it wouldn't work?

_PJ_(Posted 2012) [#10]
School may have blocked certain pages.
As for your wife's house, though I can only guess it might be browser (or browser settings), some user-agent-related issue, perhaps?