Creating a single exe file inc supporting files

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Creating a single exe file inc supporting files

Matsuz(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi is it possible to make an executable which includes all the supporting files instead of the exe plus the supporting files, which needs to be kept together or the app/game will not work.
If It can be done could someone kindly describe how.

I’m using Blitz 3d
many thanks Matsuz

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Depends what you want. If it's just media, and media that can be created with B3D commands (e.g. images, which can be created using WritePixel), there are a number of code-packing utilities in the archives that can convert your data to B3D code more or less automatically. (This isn't technically "packing" so much as auto-generating the parts of your program that will later create the assets at runtime.)

For more complex things (and the ability to save changes), only by using third-party tools. Blitz3D doesn't support this functionality natively.

Why do you need this, though? Most tools that offer it will either confuse antivirus software or harm your application's performance: it's best not to bother.

If all you want to do is stop users modifying or deleting essential files... the best solution is always to do nothing. Users aren't monkeys, they'll leave it alone.

Matsuz(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thank you Yasha, I wondered if third-party tools was the way, It seem much neater to have a single file, I take on board about confuse antivirus software or harm your application's performance.
The demo game Tommy Tronic is a single file exe. I like to share files with coding pals and end up having to zip them up, I hoped there was a better way. Other languages I use are DarkBasic and GML they both produce a single exe, thanks again, Matsuz.