IDE input lag with windows 7

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/IDE input lag with windows 7

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello - I installed Blitz3D on a new windows 7 machine-
everything seems to work except that after a program is run once-
it becomes practically impossible to edit the code,

The further in you place the cursor- vertically and horizontally
in the code- the longer the lag between hitting a key and the character appearing?! messing with compatibility settings isn't working...

I can't find any other post on this problem?
any ideas much appreciated!

Adam Novagen(Posted 2012) [#2]
Try a different editor. The default Blitz editor is very rudimentary. I and many others on this forum whole-heartedly recommend IDEal: http://www.fungamesfactory.com/

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#3]
The blitz editor is pretty solid though. I've never had any issues with it being laggy. I've had terrible lag issues with a couple of third party editors. I would recommend IDEal too though.

How long is your code? How many lines?

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#4]
Thanks- I'm having some sort of issue installing all my old software meanwhile... almost tempted to go back to XP!

Anything over a few hundred lines produces a noticable lag, which gets way worse the longer a particular line gets...

I noticed that the line/column ID in the lower right actually counts rapidly through every line and column # each time you press a key?! And the CPU% goes up 12% while I'm typing...

I quite liked the simple default editor- but I'll try IDEal- it'll have to wait till tomorrow though- 2:30 am & I'm lagging a little myself...
thanks much for the help

Slomas(Posted 2012) [#5]
I love this forum- I don't think I've ever had a problem that wasn't solved quickly....

Ideal works great, Already like the highlighted edit line so you don't have to type to see where the cursor is- and more than one undo!

Danny(Posted 2012) [#6]
Just for the record: I got the same problem here (Win7 sp1, 64bit).

I have no idea what triggers it, even in small test sources (<100 lines) I sometimes have to wait 2-5 seconds before the cursor responds and/or my keyboard input suddenly appears (but still very slowly char-by-char as if someone else is typing ;).

Closing the IDE and restarting it always helps. And often it comes back again.

D.