Help with enemy player detection?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Help with enemy player detection?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi, Drak. I got a quick question for ya. Why is there only ONE circle showing up under the player, as opposed to 0 because i used hideentity to hide them until the player is close?

U will need the media i sent u :)

Thanks, Drak

Jack(Posted 2012) [#2]
jeez,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#3]
Ignoring that last person, can u please help me with this, Drak? :)

RifRaf(Posted 2012) [#4]
The reason you get replies like that is because you abuse the forum for help beyond the norm.

Typically a user will ask for clarification on basic commands or concepts, you on the other hand post massive code blocks or entire programs and ask someone to "fix it" for you. Once in awhile, people probably would not pay any attention but you chronically ask people to sift through all your code and make your changes and fixes for you, and when they finally do you just add another fix for them to the list and keep going This makes you appear very juvenile and lazy.

Good luck

Last edited 2012

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#5]
I don't believe I was talking to u, tyvm. :)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#6]
No, I am not aware of him posting in any of your recent threads (without looking myself), but he is vocalising what many others here have belived for some time.

Hi, Drak. I got a quick question for ya. Why is there only ONE circle showing up under the player, as opposed to 0 because i used hideentity to hide them until the player is close?

U will need the media i sent u :)

Thanks, Drak

basically you have singled out Drak as your code saviour of the week, you could have worded that generically and linked to the media in question, probably the same media from the other thread.

But no, you chose to address it to Drak and Drak alone, that alone would have me running for the hills if I were him.

Anyone else wanting to help would go "where is the media?" not knowing if it is genuinly the media from the other thread and think, well eff it, not much to do without that now is there?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#7]
Fine... -.- HERE is the media.

http://www.mediafire.com/?do051b8fw2h5tyj

Anything else, my queen? -.-

Last edited 2012

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#8]
yes its Queen not queen, now run allong

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#9]
HAHAHAHA! XD

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#10]
Anyway, lets try to keep this conversation on topic, ppl.

Thank you.

Drak(Posted 2012) [#11]

3 hous later:

Ignoring that last person, can u please help me with this, Drak? :)

Christ man, I have a job during the day. I'm not waiting in the Blitz3D forums all day waiting to help people. I do coding voluntarily and I help voluntarily. This is not a personal forum so please don't single people out unless you have a specific question about code they have written. The code you are using was based off of mine, yes, but I have no idea what your question is about because it's about code you added to it.

Now, do some problem solving. Just remember, there are no glitches, errors,etc. Code only does EXACTLY what you tell it to do.

AND I don't understand your original question either.

Why is there only ONE circle showing up under the player, as opposed to 0

That question makes no sense. "Only ONE" implies there should be more, but it's also opposed to 0? Non sequitur.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#12]
Yes. There is only 1 circle, when there should be 1 under EACH dwarf. it is gonna be used as a better enemy AI detection :)

Drak(Posted 2012) [#13]
Dude read your code. It's blatently apparent why that's happening. Like I stated earlier:

Now, do some problem solving. Just remember, there are no glitches, errors,etc. Code only does EXACTLY what you tell it to do.

You can't create a variable named "circle" 5 times. You can't access the first 4 then.

This is what you're doing:
I'm making a sphere and I'm naming it "Circle" and hiding it.
I'm making a second sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it. The previous sphere will have no name now.
I'm making a third sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it. The previous sphere will have no name now.
I'm making a fourth sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it.The previous sphere will have no name now.
I'm making a fifth sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it. The previous sphere will have no name now.

Where's my sphere named "Circle"? Oh it's right here but I can't find the first four because they don't have names anymore.

Last edited 2012

Nexus6(Posted 2012) [#14]
Hi Drak,

Im trying to make a Call of Duty style game, ive got most of it coded (see below) can you fill in the missing bits please.

Thanks Drak

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#15]
Nexus, stop hijacking my thread u jerk! :<

Nexus6(Posted 2012) [#16]
lol :)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#17]
Updating Code, as u now use the Restore command to place their waypoints:

Ok, still having the same problem with circle.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2012) [#18]
Drak said from upon high
You can't create a variable named "circle" 5 times. You can't access the first 4 then.

This is what you're doing:
I'm making a sphere and I'm naming it "Circle" and hiding it.
I'm making a second sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it. The previous sphere will have no name now.
I'm making a third sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it. The previous sphere will have no name now.
I'm making a fourth sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it.The previous sphere will have no name now.
I'm making a fifth sphere and I'm naming this one "Circle" and hiding it. The previous sphere will have no name now.

Where's my sphere named "Circle"? Oh it's right here but I can't find the first four because they don't have names anymore.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#19]
The problem now is the circle2 variable is being overwritten. You have created a circle(sphere) and are copying in into circle2. Circle2 now holds a copy of the circle. Then you loop through again and copy circle into circle2, losing your last reference to circle2.

I don't think you understand types very well. If you want to store the circle with each type object, you'll have to assign a field for it.

Why not just turn round and say,

"Look guys, I don't understand how types work. I've made an ass of something."

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#20]
Instead of being a smart ***, u could have just said, "use a type for the circle".... jesus... -.-

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#21]
If you're not willing to even try to learn or understand what you're doing wrong, that's all you can expect.

That's also not what he said, and not the answer to your problem.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2012) [#22]
I already know how to do types.... -.-

RifRaf(Posted 2012) [#23]
You really need to learn basic coding concepts before trying to tackle a complete program project. Start with "hello world" and work your way up. Im sure some blitzers can recommend a book or two, theres even a book made for learning Blitz3D.

Im not saying to be rude, but most coding forums assume you have the fundamental understanding of coding basics to at least read and understand step by step instructions that may be given to you, you lack these fundamental understandings in many cases to follow the instructions given here, and so you ask and ask until the code is made for you and handed over in a plug and play , work out of the box fashion.

It may be helpful to check out books that cover these basics, such as variable assignment, and stuff like that. A real life tutor or class might be very helpful as well, these forums as helpful as they will never pass for a tutor or teacher.

Last edited 2012

Drak(Posted 2012) [#24]

I already know how to do types.... -.-

But if you did, you would know how to add a field to hold that circle mesh to that enemy Type. That's all you need to do.

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#25]

Instead of being a smart ***, u could have just said, "use a type for the circle".... jesus... -.-

One of us has to...

GfK(Posted 2012) [#26]
Why does anybody still bother to try to help this guy??

Ross C(Posted 2012) [#27]
Good question...

Drak(Posted 2012) [#28]

Why does anybody still bother to try to help this guy??

I'm not giving him any more code, only explanations because he obviously doesn't even read or understand how the code works. I enjoy helping people learn, but as he doesn't seem to actually learn much.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#29]
LOL Nexus6

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012