My Blitz3D Tutorials

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/My Blitz3D Tutorials

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#1]
I will be making tutorials on Blitz Basic/Blitz3D to share here with other new programmers so that they can learn from my little experiences with Blitz3D.

My First Video Tutorial can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80vhtNbmGwE&feature=share

Have a very Merry Christmas and I hope you all will enjoy watching my tutorials.

Last edited 2011

GfK(Posted 2011) [#2]
Just put tutorials in the tutorials section like everybody else.

[edit] just watched that video 'tutorial'. It's not a tutorial. Its you, typing some code to bad music. Nothing is explained.

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#3]
I watched this video in its entirety... now sit down, because I am going to be harsh here (but please understand, I am trying to be direct so the criticism is clear and helpful):

This is absolute crap.

You obviously don't understand functions, or where to use them, despite this being a tutorial that supposedly covers those. By extension, this means you also don't understand locals or globals, so those parts of the tutorial are out too. Not that you even try to explain what they are.

You don't understand the difference between MoveEntity and PositionEntity. You don't appear to care that the 2D and 3D coordinate systems are completely different. You obviously have no effin' clue what ScaleEntity or ScaleMesh do, which is why that part of the demo didn't work. I'm going to assume the worst and guess that you have no idea what UpdateWorld does either, mainly based on the way you added it at the start (I could forgive it being "thrown in" in the usual place due to being commonly used, but the deliberation with which it was typed up at the top says otherwise).

So there are two problems here:

1) This isn't a tutorial anyway, because at no point do you ever even attempt to explain anything. You're encouraging copy-and-paste programming, which is bad. It's also obviously how you learned most of the video's content, so understandable, but you need to recognise that this isn't helping anyone: it's actively damaging the audience by encouraging a false sense of security in their lack of knowledge (like you currently have).

2) Learning through teaching is only valid if you have the faintest idea what you're doing. You obviously neither understand most of the core programming concepts involved, nor do you know the Blitz3D command set very well. So here you're trying to actively spread false-knowledge to people who know even less. You need to have a much better handle on what is going on before you can attempt to teach others - and even then, most of the reason this technique is considered valid is because as you articulate the mechanics behind whatever you;re trying to teach, you go over it again in your own mind - since you never articulate anything, you're also missing out on that part of the learning experience yourself.

Please, please just sit down and learn something about programming, and actually read the Blitz3D manual too. This video doesn't help anyone with anything, and was a waste of your time and the time of anyone else who watched it.

I gave it the thumb-down.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#4]
Nothing is explained

Well, My Mic has gone out on my computer so I really haven't a way of talking. :(

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
>>>Well, My Mic has gone out on my computer so I really haven't a way of talking. :(

Probably not the best time to be making a video tutorial anyway, then.

By the way, i didn't give it a thumb down, but only because i couldn't be bothered to log in.

Last edited 2011

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#6]
Sorry if that video seemed like an insult then. I was trying to help this community not start another 'flame war'. I suppose I wouldn't ever be liked around here but that is okay. :)

andy_mc(Posted 2011) [#7]
It's not that you won't be liked and people are trying to flame you. It's just that if you're going to make tutorial videos and then tell people to go watch them, you need to have put some effort into them, and explain what you're doing in them. some people put text in instead of speech, or use text to speech software (please never do this, I can't stand it). Microphone's only cost a few quid on ebay or ebuyer.com to buy so surely you could order one and wait a few days for it to arrive while planning structure to your videos.

I know I'm opening myself up here for more abuse, but you could look at my series of Blitz2D videos here: http://alturl.com/h8s6j

I do try to explaining the principles, people need things spoon fed to them very simply, you might find people say you have too much detail in your first video and it needs breaking down into easier to manage chunks, that's why I only manage a simple space invaders game after ten videos, because each one introduces something new.

One last tip, would be to zoom in on the code as your type it to make it easier to read, the viewer shouldn't have to go full-screen at 720p to read simple source code if it can be helped. (zoom into the blitz IDE by holding ctrl and scrolling the mouse wheel).

Hope I've helped, let me know if you want to work with me on making some future tutorials, I've not made them for a while but keep meaning to get back into it at some point.

Rob the Great(Posted 2011) [#8]
Just some advice on why ScaleEntity wasn't working:

Suppose you have a cube that is 3 meters long on each side. Now I told you to multiple each side by -2. What would happen?

The answer is that each side would now be -6 meters long, but what does that even mean? It means that you've made the cube sides twice as long (3*2=6), and you've also flipped the cube along the x,y,z axises (with the negative).

Therefore, when you wanted to downsize your cube, you typed in ScaleEntity cube,-2,-2,-2, which doubled the cubes sides and flipped it, even though you can't really tell that it was flipped since it wasn't textured or in an odd shape.

What you were trying to do was cut the size of the cube in half. If you typed in ScaleEntity cube,1,1,1, there would be no change on the cube (3*1 = 3). So, what is half of 1? 1/2 = 0.5. So, if you typed in ScaleEntity cube,0.5,0.5,0.5, the cube sides are now half as big as they were before (3*0.5=1.5).

Regarding these numbers, you should never supply 0 for any of the values. If I remember right, this destroys the data of the entity and it will be lost after that. So, ScaleEntity cube,0,0,0 makes the cube non-existant.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2011) [#9]
Thanks Rob. :)

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#10]
Wick, you need to understand the difference between criticism and "hate speech".

Pointing out that your tutorial sucks is not a flame. It's a statement of an unfortunate truth. That's why I began with the warning that the rest of the comment would be harsh: sometimes, things are just that bad. The comment is designed to be helpful. Quite simply, you were not able to provide a tutorial (because, let's be honest, you simply do not yet understand enough of the subject matter) and I attempted to explain why, in the hopes that you might rectify the problems.

I for one wasn't insulted or offended by the tutorial at all; I was delighted that you wanted to try. That you tried doesn't by itself mean you succeeded.

You will however very quickly become unpopular if you refuse to acknowledge your errors, and instead attribute every single negative statement to a desire to hurt you. That's just silliness.

Last edited 2011