Blender models ????

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blender models ????

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hey Guys,

I have a silly question :), can you load blender files in a .bb project?

Twinprogrammer

Matty(Posted 2011) [#2]
Only if you can export them in .x, .3ds, .md2 or .b3d format..

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#3]
Of the above, the best format for general-purpose use is without question the B3D format, as it stores data that actually matches what's used by a Blitz3D entity or scene. The X and 3DS formats don't support Blitz3D entity classes or mesh construction correctly, don't support bone-based animations, and 3DS also doesn't store vertex normals, making loaded models look like crap if they have any hard edges (don't know if this is true of X). MD2 uses vertex-based animation, and thus needs huge files with poor levels of detail for the average game character (it is however faster than using bones).

There are also custom loaders in the code archives for OBJ (non-animated) and MD3. Probably a few other formats too.

You can also use the BSP format for environments, although for a long time nobody did because it was unclear how legal this was thanks to some patents in the way.

Note also that BSP and MD2 have their own special rendering engines and don't load up into Blitz3D meshes, so there are some limits that what you can do to those once they're loaded into your game - you certainly can't manipulate their vertices or anything like that. The other three built-in formats all load as normal meshes, as well as (obviously) anything loaded via a custom routine.

Last edited 2011

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#4]
How can I make a model a .b3d format ? Do I have to use a specific modeler ?
Because I can't afford to buy 3DS Max , I'm only 13 :).

Twinprogrammer

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#5]
Here's a B3D exporter for Blender: http://www.michaelzeilfelder.de/irrlicht.htm#Scripts

Use the pre-patched version linked on that page, as Gandalf's original page has been replaced by one of those fake-site domain hijacker people.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2011) [#6]
Also, if you go to the Specs and utils of the BB forums, you'll find a list of exporters. Blender is included in them!

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#7]
How do I download the exporter , Yasha ?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#8]
The exporter is here (direct link this time to avoid confusion): http://www.michaelzeilfelder.de/irrlicht/b3d_export.py

Either save the linked document, or go there and select-all/copy. If you were confused as to why there is this text file instead of a binary program, the text file is the exporter - it's a Python program, and it's normal to distribute those as source code. Blender comes with a Python interpreter, so don't worry about that.

What to do with it once you have it, I couldn't tell you, as I don't really use Blender myself. I assume you install it like any other Python plugin, and there should be generic tutorials for that available on the Blender website.

Last edited 2011

Yan(Posted 2011) [#9]
Probably worth mentioning that the above script will only work with Blender 2.4x (and possibly below).

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#10]
how do i use it , yasha ?

K(Posted 2011) [#11]
Place the .PY file in blender/.blender/scripts, and away you go!
Recently got it up myself, don't know why I went without.
"Because I can't afford to buy 3DS Max , I'm only 13 :)"

...Blender can export .3ds if you insist on it, but anims don't work.
You probably know this but then it's just File>>Export>>B3D exporter.

Last edited 2011

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#12]
How do I make it a .PY file ?

Last edited 2011

K(Posted 2011) [#13]
Paste the text into Notepad, then 'SaveAs', change to 'All Files', then type in 'B3d_export.py' into the box, save, and you're done. Reboot Blender to load the script in.

Drak(Posted 2011) [#14]
Another thing to do is simply load the model into Pacemaker, and export it as a B3D file. Pacemaker is free on the utilities page.

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#15]
Where do I save it in ? I go to Blender / 2.59(the latest version) / scripts/ and save it there. But when I run blender , and hit file / export / , it doesn't show B3D_Export (.B3D). Am I not saving it in the right folder ?

Last edited 2011

K(Posted 2011) [#16]
[Probably worth mentioning that the above script will only work with Blender 2.4x (and possibly below).

Blender rewrote their anim system.

Last edited 2011

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#17]
What do you mean by rewrote ?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#18]
Recoded, re-programmed.

The authors improved Blender3D's animation functionality and API*.

GandalDF's exporter script (the one being talked about in this thread) handles things the way the old API did, that's why you can only run it through old versions of the software.

*API is all functionality the authors provide for the users to code their scripts, by communicating with Blender3D so they can retrieve and submit data. GandalDF's exporter script for instance asks Blender3D the amount of objects in the scene, how they look like, how are they animated through time etc. and writes a B3D-compatible file based on that information.

Last edited 2011

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#19]
So I'm not gonna be able to use the blender exporter ?

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#20]
You won't be able to if you try to use it with a Blender version that is above the one Post #9 tells you.

If you are using it with a version equal or below that and it's still not working, you're just not integrating the script properly - do as Post #11 tells you, or consult Blender's online documentaton at "Extending Blender -> Introduction -> Introduction".

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2011) [#21]
How do I download the older versions ? I still don't know where to save the file after I checked the documentations. I don't know where to look in all those documentations!!!!!

ardee(Posted 2011) [#22]
OK, I'll bite.... baby steps....

First, let's get the last version of Blender that exports .b3d format (2.49b)

1. http://download.blender.org/release/
2. Click on the Blender2.49b Directory
2. You will want "blender-2.49b-windows.zip"
3. Click on it and save to your computer.
4. Open up the .zip file and drag the Blender-2.49b-windows directory to your desktop.
5. Once copied open the directory and double click "blender.exe"
6. Blender will now launch.

When you've got Blender installed, come back and I'll tell you what to do next.