Texture to have "Screen" effect

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Texture to have "Screen" effect

DheDarkhCustard(Posted 2011) [#1]
You know when you load a sprite with no filter handles and it automatically uses the "screen" effect (where it adds pixel colour until it goes white)

What filters and texture options do I need to set to get this to work on an actual texture? For example if I need a sphere to have an explosion texture.

Matty(Posted 2011) [#2]
I think you are referring to the 'addblend' mode for either the texture or the entity.

Look up the entityblend and textureblend commands.

DheDarkhCustard(Posted 2011) [#3]
I did have a quick look at those. But I couldn't figure out which ones I had to set. Doesn't textureblend blend 2 textures together on the same object? I need it to blend with what's behind the object.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#4]
Then you need EntityBlend. Same thing but for objects in space rather than textures on a surface. Additive blend mode will work for this.

DheDarkhCustard(Posted 2011) [#5]
Okay I've figured it out! But I'll add this here in case anyone else needs it.

I tried what you suggested and "Add" didn't seem to light up as bright as normal sprites. So I simply added an EntityFX the_entity,1 Which gives the entity a "full bright" effect, so combined with the texture, it appears like a sprite!

The texture doesn't appear the same as "screen" (Photoshop, Fireworks etc.) but more like "Additive" which makes more sense as the blend mode is "add" but that is closer to what I needed anyway.

Perfect! Thanks for your help Matty and Yasha.