Blender physics\cloth\fluid in Blitz?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blender physics\cloth\fluid in Blitz?

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#1]
Is it possible to import Blender meshes into Blitz3D and still retain their physics, cloth and fluid properties from the Blender animator? I cannot see a way but maybe they can be somehow baked into the mesh before export?

Any advice from people more in the know would be most helpful. I`m using Blender 2.49 and the B3D exporter.

Jason.

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
It may be possible to bake extra properties into a B3D mesh (I don't know how the exporter works, not using Blender, but B3D is supposedly an extensible format), but if so that's Blender's business. There are two other obstacles that are unfortunately rather bigger:

1) Blitz3D can't load any elements of a B3D file that it doesn't know about, even if the format is extensible with new node types. So the extra data would either manifest as pivots, or get ignored by the loader altogether.

2) Physical simulation isn't a property of models, but the engine that's displaying them. While physics engines for Blitz3D exist, as far as I'm aware none of them are the Blender engine, so they would have completely different behaviours and scene setups; and more importantly, there is no mechanism to load Blender physics information from a B3D file into one of these engines. You'd need a custom load function, which may be a lot of work to write.

What is your priority, Blender, or Blitz3D?

- if your priority is making assets in Blender and all you need is any game engine because you haven't started work on the program yet, you may do better to move to an engine that has direct support for something that Blender can export.

- if your priority is using Blitz3D, having already started work on your program, I suggest you keep your use of Blender's physics system to a minimum; export simple assets as standard mesh files, and a minimum amount of simulation information in supporting files that can be loaded up by one of the existing physics engines for Blitz3D. You'd need to pick an engine that does what you want - PhysX, perhaps - and see how that loads scenes, and then work backwards to see what you can output from Blender that you could use to create a Blitz3D/PhysX scene from scratch.

QuickSilva(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks Yasha for the help.

My main priority is Blitz 3D I just really wanted to know what was possible before starting on a project so your advice is a great help to me. Thanks again.

Jason.