Modeling Programs

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Modeling Programs

Tau_Aquilae(Posted 2011) [#1]
Blender and truespace

Blender....I just cant figure it out....that interface makes me want to stab both my eyes out to ease the pain...(and also after hearing it needs a B3d pipeline to export everything correctly, which is apparently a major pain to find)

However after a forum search I find this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=40151

it has been VERY helpful

and the one that has caught my eye the most was Truespace, according to the site, it is free, so my question is twofold

A)Do I need ANYTHING else to export the models/animated meshes CORRECTLY (I.E do I need a B3D pipeline/other exporter, if it is not a pain to find, I honestly wont mind)

B)Am I in error for eying truespace over something else?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2011) [#2]
I have to confess I never tried truespace, and with blender I never became familar (indeed the interface...).

Just this: there is Fragmotion that can be used to convert animated meshes, eg. animated x9 X (eg. the characters by gamecreateors for dbpro and fpsmaker) to B3D. It's fully functional trialware with a nag-smiley.

For the animation of NPCs you may use a further program, eg. Pacemaker, CharacterFX and others.

There are much more free tools out there, I've seen some very nice Programs on this list:
http://3dnow.informe.com/some-free-modeling-tools-dt28.html

See also Forum section "content creation tools"

Last edited 2011

Tau_Aquilae(Posted 2011) [#3]
Cool Thanks!

I still like the look of truespace the most...but some of these looked really nice! (blacksmith3d especially)

Ah I'll still look down the list before i make a final decision (perhaps someone who used truespace can talk about his/her experience?)

Matty(Posted 2011) [#4]
I used caligari gamespace before moving on to SoftImageXSI.
No comparison. Caligari products were highly unstable, terribly unintuitive interface whereas XSI rarely crashes, and is easy to use. That's my opinion. However there is obviously a price difference, and the version I own of XSI no longer exists ("Foundation 5.0")....not sure how expensive the current one is but I'm sure it's gone up.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#5]
Blender's UI makes my eyes bleed.

ardee(Posted 2011) [#6]
B)Am I in error for eying truespace over something else?

Microsoft bought Caligari, the makers of Truespace, released the program as free and then a few months later killed it stone dead. So yeah, look for something better. You will need another program to convert between something Truespace can export to .b3d.

...(and also after hearing it needs a B3d pipeline to export everything correctly, which is apparently a major pain to find)

Don't think 3D modelling is really for you if you can't be bothered to look for a download. Seriously, there is no magic bullet, you're going to have to work and learn to make anything half decent in 3D and this comment screams you're not prepared for the effort.

Tau_Aquilae(Posted 2011) [#7]
Matty: Ok at least that clears that up...

GfK: don't get me started

ardee: I actually did modeling AGES ago...

and about that download for the pipeline exporter

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=93380

EDIT: Well someone FINALLY found it...ah well, I was going to abandon blender anyway (DeleD lite [EDIT:CE] and Pacemaker look good enough right now)

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

coffeeaddict(Posted 2011) [#8]
I can vouch for DeleD. It has a friendly community and it does not hurt that it is free and open source now.

Tau_Aquilae(Posted 2011) [#9]
I'm trying it out as I type this......It's amazing....

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2011) [#10]
To export from TrueSpace:

I use Ultimate Unwrap for my exports. MilkShape may work as well.

However, I have encountered angle problems when exportiing from TrueSpace.

Yue(Posted 2011) [#11]
What I do not like milk shape is that the model is exported into a single unit, not work Findchild (...), I think is the best exporter of 3d max 2009.

Last edited 2011

Kryzon(Posted 2011) [#12]
Not 2009, just 9.
2009 would be like Max 11.

After 3DS Max 9 they started with the year nomenclature, so you have 3DS Max 8, 9, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 - the most recent.

coffeeaddict(Posted 2011) [#13]
I'm curious...why would you spend only $100 on a game engine and then $3000 for a top tier modeler like 3DS?

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#14]
As pointed out elsewhere ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=93833#1074847 ), 3DS Max is free to a large subset of users.