Using wmas for sound effects

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Using wmas for sound effects

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, I was wondering why wavs seem to always be used for sound effects, and other formats for music. For music, I prefer to use wmas, but would there be any problem with using them for sound effects too?

Last edited 2010

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#2]
I think the reason you often see wav files as sound effects is simply that sound effects are often short enough that the files aren't worth compressing!

As for wma - Blitz3D doesn't support that format for pre-loadable sounds, only music played directly off the disk. While obviously you're free to use "LoadSound" and "PlayMusic" for whatever you want, not just effects and music, I wouldn't recommend using PlayMusic for sound effects: the fact you have to reload the file every time the sound is played means it can't be relied upon to have perfect precision in its start timing (and it's unnecessarily cruel to the hard disk anyway!), which is normally considered less important for music as music is rarely timed to match animations.

Your options for preloadable sound are raw, wav again, ogg and mp3. The ogg format is normally recommended as it provides excellent compression and quality, without any associated patent or licencing issues.

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#3]
Thank you Yasha, I didn't know any of that. So then would you say ogg would be a better choice for using one filetype for music and sounds?

D4NM4N(Posted 2010) [#4]
OGG is by far the best choice. I use Audacity (free 4 Win/Lin/Mac) as an audio editor and (wav/mp3/ogg) converter and it works well. It also allows you to do some useful effects.

Last edited 2010