Taking screenshots?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Taking screenshots?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#1]
I know it's a stupid question, but how do you take a screenshot in Blitz3d so I can upload it in the gallery.

The other day I read on useen64 about how a metroid game, Metroid 64 , was planned for the Nintendo 64 long ago, but it never went into production.

I then had a little dainty idea about recreating what Metroid 64 would and could have looked like on the good old N64 , so I did.

It's in an early stage, and I'm not sure if i'll even keep working on it.

I want to upload a pic of it so far, so can anyone tell me how to take screenshots?

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#2]
hi
try:
http://camstudio.org/

it can take snapshots and/or video and i'ts free

Juan

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#3]
Charrua
Are you sure you can snapshots with it? I downloaded it and it doesn't seem to have an option to.

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#4]
let me see, probably i'm confused....

juan

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#5]
sorry it may be:
http://www.fraps.com/
isnt't free but the screen capture (snap shot) is enabled in the demo version

Juan

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#6]
For a really simple solution... run your app in windowed mode, and Print Screen will work. Crop the edges and nobody will know the difference.

Charrua(Posted 2010) [#7]
PrtScr will put an image on the ClipBoard, use your favourite image editing software and paste from it on a new image (paint will be enough)

juan

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#8]
I took charrua's advice and used fraps. Thanks to anyone who posted to help me.

Matty(Posted 2010) [#9]
Use the "savebuffer" command and save the backbuffer before flipping it, then convert the image to a jpg and upload somewhere on the net....

maybe spend sometime reading through the command reference - there's some useful stuff in there.

pc_tek(Posted 2010) [#10]
Charrua is correct, the key 'PRTSCR' or 'Print Screen' will copy the screen contents to the copy-buffer.

Also, holding down the left ALT key and pressing the print screen button will copy the active window and not the whole screen.

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#11]
Also, holding down the left ALT key and pressing the print screen button will copy the active window and not the whole screen.

OK that is cool. I think you've saved me many cumulative hours of cropping with that tip, thank you.

Last edited 2010

Warner(Posted 2010) [#12]
As Matty suggested, using
SaveBuffer BackBuffer(), "test.bmp"
should also work.

*(Posted 2010) [#13]
I would do:
Global SnapshotCount = 0

if Keydown( SnapshotKey )=1
SaveBuffer BackBuffer(), "snapshot"+SnapshotCount+".bmp"
SnapshotCount = SnapshotCount +1
repeat:until keydown( Snapshotkey ) =0
endif

This will mean that whenever you press the snapshot key it takes a shot, you can never get that perfect shot first time unless its turn based :)