Animation help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Animation help

Kiyoshi(Posted 2010) [#1]
Ok, here's my deal. I can animate an md2 model easy, but for some reason, I always have problems animating a .3ds model. I know it can be done, I just dont know how. So what I'm asking is, could someone please write me a small piece of sample code that lets me animate a .3ds model with multiple animations and switch between the animations? If I could get my hands on that, I could work from there. Thanks in advance!

Ross C(Posted 2010) [#2]
There is a .3ds animation sample in the blitz samples folders i'm sure. But before that, is your .3ds model boned?

Kiyoshi(Posted 2010) [#3]
-_- I have no idea what that means....I'm not really that good at programming...

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#4]
I think you need to read this (Skeletal animation) first to understand what Ross C is on about. There a a few ways you can animate a model one way is to key frame each vertices position (also called per-vertex animation this is what the md2 file format does if I remember rightly) the other is to keyframe the position of the skeleton (or bones). The latter can easily allow you to animate a model through code.