em-ail the author

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/em-ail the author

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#1]
works.
execfile "mailto:email@..." 

Nate the Great(Posted 2010) [#2]
I think the mailto: is a command that IE recognizes to open and email program but blitz does not recognize it. You may have to use some sort of win api calls but I am no expert.

edit: actually surprisingly it works for me... maybe you need outlook?

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#3]
EDIT: Dunno what else you could do. I'm sure there is something in the Windows API for that.

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#4]
atleast it could do an error messageBoxW().

Adam Novagen(Posted 2010) [#5]
Well, it stands to reason that it works. Since ExecFile(), as far as I'm aware, basically triggers an action of execution within Windows, it should be totally able to run any program, open a file or do ANTYTHING related to accessing external APP-related file calls.

... Okay, I have no idea what I just said. And probably don't know what I'm talking about anyway. XD But it makes sense to me that that'd work. :p

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#6]
But it makes sense to me that that'd work. :p

Only on computers that have a default mailprogram associated -- on my computer it fails with the following error:

There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel

And I do have an email program installed, but it's not recognized by Windows as such so it's not a selectable option in the control panel.
Since more and more people don't use a local mail client but instead use some kind of webmail (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc.) you'll find a LOT of computers that this won't work on.

Adam Novagen(Posted 2010) [#7]
Oh, well yeah. I didn't mean I expected it to start a program automatically, only that it'd try to. When using ExecFile() on an unregistered file type, for example, it triggers the Windows "Open With..." dialogue.