Ratchet and Clank type jumping?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Ratchet and Clank type jumping?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#1]
It's been quite some time since my last post(which is somewhat a good thing) but I have been stuck with the same problem with my game for months. Adding jumping.

I have been trying to implement jumping in my game that is like the jumping in Ratchet and Clank, primarily the new games. I have studied the game, watched videos, and even played it to understand how the jumping mechanics work. When you jump, the camera doesn't "jump" with the character, rather it just stays in it's position and when you jump up onto a higher platform,the camera remains in place, but when you land, the camera pans up to you.

It sound kind of confusing, but if you could be generous enough to take the time, maybe you could watch a gameplay video of Ratchet and Clank TOD(tools of destruction) or Ratchet and Clank ACIT(a crack in time).
Can someone with more experience than me help me out? I would be EXTREMELY grateful if you did.

Please reply, this is very important to the game that I am working on.

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#2]
Assuming you have the rest of your character's jump mechanics down, I guess you're feeding the character's position to the camera setup somehow? If so, I would suggest continuing to feed it the X and Z of the character, but only update the Y value if there was a collision with the relevant floor, in which case update it with the CollisionY() (or equivalent, if you're not using native collisions) value for your character. I'd also put in a check that the character isn't too far offscreen, and if they are outside normal expected jump bounds (e.g. falling down a hole), update the camera regardless of collision.

Uh... maybe that made sense.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#3]
well to be honest, I no longer have a jumping system. My jumping system was very buggy and bad. The camera would always slowly tilt down for some reason and you couldn't navigate through terrians. I tried but failed(as usual) so I came here for help. I was hoping that someone could help me out on where and how to get started with such a system. Your idea sound good. I'll try to create a function that tells the camera's Y value to work with the Y value of the player and update it when needed, but before I can do that, I need to know where to start.

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#4]
It's funny you mention this because there's a tutorial for Unity called 3D Platformer Tutorial that has that style of jumping. It even refers to it as being the jumping style from that game.

script file...
ThirdPersonController.js

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#5]
GIB3D
What a coincidence:) Where should I start if I wanted to convert that technique into blitz3d?

GIB3D(Posted 2010) [#6]
I'll try to convert it myself and then post it back here.

Edit:
It's not completely converted but it should at least be somewhat readable now.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2010) [#7]
Before you start to convert the Unity3d code into Blitz3d, I just wanted you to see my first (and failed) attempt to add jumping.
The problem with the code, like I said before, was that the camera kept on turning downwards ( but when you jump,the camera instantly goes back up to you) and the character had lots of trouble going up the terrian.
This is the section where the jumping takes place:

Just becuase it's helpful to know, heres the whole code:

thanks for helping me out, please reply.