HostNetGame problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/HostNetGame problem

lauri(Posted 2010) [#1]
I tried to use Blitz:s own network examples with two computers, but they couldn't create game. Woks blitz net commands only in LAN or WLAN or what I did wrong? I type my Ip to field in connection window in my laptop, but it didn't find my other computer when I used wireless Internet. With wlan it works normally.

Serpent(Posted 2010) [#2]
Both WLAN and LAN are still LAN networks - it's just one operates using cables and the other operates using wireless transmisssions. There are two reasons I could think of that would cause this to happen.

First of all, did you try using the same IP address for the LAN and WLAN networks? When you change your connection type, you're effectively changing networks and therefore your computers might have different IP addresses. I'm assuming here that in the examples you're using you have to manually enter the IP address into the JoinNetGame() function.

Secondly, are you sure that both computers are on the same network each time? Your computers may not be able to find each other because they are not connected to each other using LAN.

So anyway, because LAN and WLAN are still 'LAN' networks (they just use different ways to send data), Blitz networking SHOULD work the same on both. Just to make sure getting the IP address wrong isn't the reason why this isn't working, try changing the 'JoinNetGame(IP Address)' to 'StartNetGame()'. This means that it will open a window that allows you to search for 'games' running on the network.

stanrol(Posted 2010) [#3]
wlan should be similar to lan.