3D Studio Max

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/3D Studio Max

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#1]
I want to buy 3dStudio Max but need to find out first about using it with Blitz 3D. Is it possible to export from 3ds Max so that the scene is lightmapped? I can render a cube mapped with bricks and see the mapped image files but when loaded into Blitz 3D, the cube is white, even though the lightmapped images are in the saved folder.
Any assistance greatfully accepted.

Dicon

Hotshot2005(Posted 2010) [#2]
I dont know much about 3D studio max but what i do know is there is BlitzMax Tools which show this http://blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php

Someone may be able to help your answers :)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#3]

I want to buy 3dStudio Max but need to find out first about using it with Blitz 3D. Is it possible to export from 3ds Max so that the scene is lightmapped?

yes..you can export entirely lightmapped scene out of 3dsmax..

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Naughty Alian...
yes, thanks, that information is good. But is there a tutorial or a post that explains HOW please?

Dicon

SLotman(Posted 2010) [#5]
No! You can't export anymore from MAX to .B3D, unless you're exporting to .3DS, and then you loose texture info, some UV mapping, etc.

The 'b3dpipeline' (which works great) only works up to MAX9 - newer versions won't work. So, you'll have to resort to other programs to export/convert stuff, making it a lot more problematic than it should be.

So, unless you aiming to buy Max9 or older - and specifically to export to .B3D, then forget it.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#6]
..informations regarding 3dsmax versions related to B3D pipeline, SLotman said, are correct, however, you can export entirely lightmapped mesh out of 3dsmax on other ways, without involving B3D as a export mesh..options may be use of UU3D or use of 2 identical meshes exported, one with difuse textures and second with lightmap only and then process both and copy color values from lightmapped one over difuse one in runtime (doable and works like a charm, tested it myself), and then once that process is done, simply free from memory lightmapped loaded mesh and you will have your level perfectly lightmapped with Vray, Mental ray or whatever suits your needs ..

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#7]
Well the good news is the Max is 2008. The bad news is that trying to find the 3d Pipleine is a nightmare. All clues lead to www.onegirl.com, which non of my search engines can trace and the links just lead back to the same page. Has anyone out there got a link or pointer to the download please. Thanks.
Dicon
( aging rapidly )

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#8]
here you go, Dicon.
I haven't ever really used b3d pipeline, and these files are quite old (I downloaded them maybe 2 years ago?) So I can't promise they are up to date or the 'correct' version for what you need.

I put everything I had into the zip:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickyandlaura/BB/EKD/Redist/b3DPipeline.zip

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#9]
Malice!
That's great. I haven't yet installed them (It's been a busy day) so first thing I the morning I will transfer them into Max.

And thank you all for the help and advice.
Dicon

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#10]
..actually, there is a B3D pipeline for max9 too..i dont know is this Malice provided max9 version..

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#11]
I dunno either. :D

As far as I recall though, I think I had access to 3DSMax 8 at the time... Not sure >.>

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#12]
..i have 3dsmax9 version somewhere on archive..ill take a look later and upload here..

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#13]
Thanks to you all, I am nearly there. I installed B3D Pipeline.
I did get "Render to Texture" nearly right with B3D rendering a shadow onto the boxes which I use as a trial, but wuth no texture showing. Use use the B3D map in the textures and B3D Brushes.
I keep getting

Object(%) has invalid material(%)Box01 01default(box01)

Which is annoying because I am nearly there.
I think it's in the "Render to Texture" that I come unstuck.
Should I try staying with complete map and if so, which map number.
And, where do I then assign the final B3D render to texture. I usually put it into the images in scene assets.

Like I said, nearly there.
Thanks.
Dicon

Naughty Alien(Posted 2010) [#14]
..have you properly unwrap on to channels 1 and 2, respecting diffuse and lightmap ? Also, pay attention on to shell material, created out of 3dsmax lightmap baking because u need to copy that material in to empty material editor slot..

Dicon(Posted 2010) [#15]
I decided to go the simpler route and now use AC3D to model and Gile[s] to light-map. Make & bake with no hassles. Giles is clunky, but does work and AC3d is a dream to model with.

Dicon

Leon Drake(Posted 2010) [#16]
I would just use the deled engien now.. since its free and all.

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#17]
Cartography Shop is also free, it's an earlier version of 3D World Studio, and it exports lightmapped scenes as B3D directly.
I have 3D World Studio, and it beats Blender and 3DSMax in solid modelling (=boolean ops) by far. It's incredibly easy and fast to make buildings with it.

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#18]
I have 3D World Studio, and it beats Blender and 3DSMax in solid modelling (=boolean ops) by far. It's incredibly easy and fast to make buildings with it.

I want to see you model a statue or a more complex structure with that >:(

I can always depend on my 3DS Maxy.

PS: :D