Screen tearing or double image

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Screen tearing or double image

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, I've been considering using Flip 0 for my games. I know I'm supposed to hate the screen tearing, but compared to the double image of Flip 1, I really don't. What do you all think? In particular, are there any other problems with using Flip 0, and as far as Flip 1 is there any way to get rid of the double image effect? Please try my code to see what I mean.

Sorry I have so many posts today, I don't get to use the internet very often.

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#2]
Anyone? This is one I really need answered if someone wouldn't mind testing it.

Yasha(Posted 2010) [#3]
What kind of double image effect? I don't see anything different between Flip 0 and Flip 1 in that code...?

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#4]
There's no best solution, the only thing to consider early on is, whether the usage of tweening or delta timing. If you decided for one or the other stick to it. Just develop your game. There are ways to reduce texture tearing and such, but it also depends upon the target system and driver settings. It also differs between fullscreen and windowed. You may also look into the vwait command. Just use the method that looks best for your game.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#5]
On MAC's flip 0 causes tearing for sure.. on PC's it seems to be occasional but I used to use flip 0 all the time until I realized that the processor cooks real hot when you don't frame limit your code.

I discovered that when I ran some code on my laptop procedurally and didn't frame limit it... it caused my laptop to overheat!

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#6]
the processor cooks real hot when you don't frame limit your code.
It's also good practice to add some delay in every loop, so you don't eat up all processor time. A simple delay 1 would do the trick.

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#7]
Thanks! Lo-tekk and Skully, is frame limiting the same thing as render tweening? And what's delta timing? Yasha, the double image, visible with the render tween either on or off in my code, is where it looks like there's a second box trailing just after the first one when you move it, on my computer anyway. With Flip 0 it's gone, replaced by a barely noticeable screen tearing.

Any other information about the overheating problem of Flip 0, and if other people are able to see the double image of Flip 1 on their computers would be greatly appreciated.

lo-tekk(Posted 2010) [#8]
Here's another one using tweening and should give some time back to the os. As you can see it's almost the same as yours except the vwait command used.