Antivirus programs blocking Blitz3D games

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Antivirus programs blocking Blitz3D games

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi, how common is it for antivirus programs to not let you run Blitz3D games? Here at the library, I'm never able to test my games, but that's no surprise I guess because they even block Winzip. Sometimes people say they get virus warnings from my downloads though. Does anyone else have this problem?

PowerPC603(Posted 2010) [#2]
Are you sharing your games as pure *.exe files?
You might need to zip them.
Or you could try renaming them to something else (*.game for example) and let the people who download your game rename the file to *.exe.

In libraries, they don't want anyone installing software they don't want to prevent viruses, malware and such things. So it's normal they block any zip or exe file.

puki(Posted 2010) [#3]
The .b3d file format can sound alarms:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=62879

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#4]
Also, if you happen to have used a 3rd party executable packer like UPX you can set off some anti-virus programs as well.

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#5]
Thanks, and any further information about this is welcome.

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#6]
I finally found out what was causing my programs to always get blocked by antivirus programs. I tried one of them on a computer that has McAfee, and it not only fixed the file, but then it gave me information I could actually understand about the virus. Here's the link.

http://home.mcafee.com/VirusInfo/VirusProfile.aspx?key=154055#

Though that was more than I expected, I still don't know what to do about my main computer, which is not and never has been online. Should I install McAfee on it and hope it fixes all the files on my hard drive without breaking anything, or do you think it would be safer to just use it on files I put on my internet computer to be uploaded? I'm leaning toward that because the virus has been on my main computer for a long time and never caused me any problems, but what do all of you think?

Last edited 2010

xlsior(Posted 2010) [#7]
If you know you actually have a virus, you'd be crazy not to remove it...

If nothing else, it's probably running in the background taking up system resources and slowing down your computer.

You don't need to purchase McAfee to clean your PC, there's several free antivirus programs as well: AVG Free, or Microsoft Security Essentials: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#8]
Though I'm glad I finally found something to get rid of the virus my Blitz3D programs always seem to have, I don't like how it just alters them suddenly and resaves them without asking me, and I definitely don't want that happening on a large scale on my main computer.

_PJ_(Posted 2010) [#9]
A lot of AV programs give you options on wehat action to take on encountering infections or warnings, so you can decide whether to ignore, Heal (aattempt to remove virus and fix file) or just delete/quarantine the files. I dont use McAfee, but I'm suprised if it doesn't have similar configurable options...

fox95871(Posted 2010) [#10]
McAfee is the first antivirus program I've used that's been able to actually fix the virus instead of just telling me it's there, but as far as customization goes it seems to have only very general settings, at least in the version I have.