Role-Playing-Game help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Role-Playing-Game help

NerdyBrendan(Posted 2010) [#1]
Hi... I want to make a 3rd Role Playing Game where you can just walk around and do anything, talk to AI... etc... Any advice????

Matty(Posted 2010) [#2]
As a start: Have a look at the castle demo for moving around in an environment as a start with an animated character.

It all depends on how you want the user to interact...talking to AIs in a game like Morrowind for example is different than that in something like Baldur's Gate which is different to something like the original Diablo.

An RPG needs a bit of planning.

NerdyBrendan(Posted 2010) [#3]
Cool thanks

Drak(Posted 2010) [#4]
I've been working on an RPG off an on for years. I got burnt out on it a long time ago, but began working on it again recently. One of the biggest obstacles to overcome is the sheer magnitude of media you will require.

No i'm not trying to persuade you to not make one, it's actually quite fun to work on them.

This is what I did:
What I would do first is make a very small rpg. I'm talking one map, a few characters, a few monsters, a few buildings, just a sampling of everthing. Once you can succesfully have your character interact with a small environment like this, add a second area or map for the player to go to. By the time you get a couple of areas done like this you'll have a great knowledge of the workings of a game like this, and be the rest is more or less adding new areas, npcs, monsters, etc.

But, like I said rpg's tend to have a huge collection of media.

NerdyBrendan(Posted 2010) [#5]
What software did you create the environments in??? Like did you use heightmaps or 3dworldstudio or something else??

Drak(Posted 2010) [#6]
The only program I purchased was T.ED terrain editor to make the terrains in. As far as placing objects like trees, houses, etc, I made my own editor for that.

I use Anim8or for modeling, even though not many people like it. I absolutely love it. It can export 3ds files.

Pacemaker is free now, which can import 3ds models, bone and animate them, and export in B3D. This is what I use for all my animating. It's a fabulous tool.