A good modeller

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/A good modeller

ClayPigeon(Posted 2010) [#1]
I have been searching and searching everywhere, but I just can't seem to find it. I want a good, clean modelling program for indoor/outdoor level editing that is very compatible with Blitz3D's methods. I've tried using blender for it, but it usually doesn't map the textures correctly or something.. I LOVE Maplet, but it's just not functional enough. I also want to be able to run the models through gile[s] for lightmaps, maybe. I have used and like Wings3D too, but it seems that it's not fully supported by Blitz either..
I just want a good program for level editing indoor and outdoor.
Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gabriel(Posted 2010) [#2]
Deled? ( http://www.delgine.com/ )

That went free recently, didn't it? It's supposed to be good for level editing and clean geometry, and I'm sure it exports to something Gile[s] can use.

ClayPigeon(Posted 2010) [#3]
Oh, I also tried Deled. I downloaded it awhile back, but I'm not sure if by "went free" you mean is completely free, or you can download a demo for free.. I really didn't try it that much, but from what I've seen it's pretty good.

ClayPigeon(Posted 2010) [#4]
Ok thanks. I checked it out, and... it ACTUALLY WENT FREE!! I'm thoroughly surprised.. Thanks alot!

Kryzon(Posted 2010) [#5]
Since you said 'level editing", I'll suggest a workflow: model and texture in DeleD\any modeller of your preference, then lightmap and place nodes* in Gile[s].

*By placing child nodes in your level, you can ease the amount of work you'll have when placing items and setting enemies'\players' spawn positions or waypoints. You just read the childs' names, which you can create prefixes for (SP_ for spawns, IT_ for items, or anything you want), then read their position, create the appropriate objects and then free the nodes.
From these nodes you can also create trigger-areas or zones, have Events and all that other stuff that comes with it. You know, when actually making a game engine.

AJ00200(Posted 2010) [#6]
I think blender is a bit hard to learn, but I like it.
I haven't used it much, but will br soon for making some cool levels for my game.
What do you mean by textures don't work right?

Shambler(Posted 2010) [#7]
I second Deled, easy to use and very competent at exporting to various formats.

ClayPigeon(Posted 2010) [#8]
Yes, I am a fan of Blender, too. I use it for models sometimes, but they usually come out black. I like DeleD a lot now, it's exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#9]
I wouldn't think to much about if a program is supported by blitz. Just make sure to get a good converter, this is going to allow you to use almost any Modeller. You didn't say if it has to be for free, but I guess you meant it that way, so 3D studio Max is not an option. There may be however exporters for their "free version" of 3dsm (wasn't it called Gmax or so). And there is Ac3D, that is reccommended by some people as an alternative to 3dsm.

For a converter you might use Ultimate Unwrap 3D. You may also use Fragmotion that can be used for free, although there's that really annoying Nag-Smiley that you will have to click away frequently. Tho, basicly fragmo is a tool for animated Characters, allowing to edit animated B3D, and/or convert from eg. .X to .B3D.

Sketchup may be an other option, probably kind of "Mapletesque", but like with GMax it isn't so clear if those unofficial export plugins (to-B3D paths) are really legal.

Personally I still love to do the rough parts with maplet, then I add some details that are made with other 3D tools (most will do), things like conic roofs etc. that are not possible in Maplet. Surprisingly Decorator also works nicely with NON-Maplet Meshes, as long as they got a Lightmap (something that can be added in Giles) and as long as every Material is using a texture (color only materials will mess up decorator). Too bad TeraBit didn't continue developing Decorator. Even a rewrite would have been promising, IMHO.