not showing texture on b3d file

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/not showing texture on b3d file

B(Posted 2009) [#1]
hello,

heres my problem:

i made a model in Wings and textured it.

i then exported it as a 3ds file.

i then imported it into blender. (it renders fine and with texture on it.)

but when I load it into the game it does not show the texture.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for all your guys help in the past.

-B

Warner(Posted 2009) [#2]
There could be several reasons why it does not work. Is the texture file placed in the same folder as the model file?
Else, open the exported file in Notepad, and search for ".jpg" or ".png".
Also, check out the texture size. It's width&height should be a power of 2, such as 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512 or 1024.
Maybe the texture format is unsupported? Try exporting it with one of the textures from the Blitz samples.

B(Posted 2009) [#3]
well after some messing around I found out that wings only exports the texture file as a .bmp regardless of what kind of image I import.

and whenever i import a .bmp as a texture file it looks ghosty.

ill search the threads for some help on wings3D use with blitzmax

thanks for your help i would not have found out anything without your advice.

-B

EDIT:

ok so i googled it and messed around for what seemed like forever...

and i still cant get it to load texture ingame.

btw its not my blitz3D game its a game called Stranded II.
great engine but i cant load my own models into it. :(

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2010) [#4]
When the model is looking "ghosty" then maybe the texture is loaded with alpha flag on? An other option would be to patch the Wings exported file, (I assume it writes the bmp path into the file, right?) Drop the mesh file on Notepad and see that the texturepath is. When it points to a BMP, then you may A) supply such a BMP in the same folder, or B) patch the mesh file and make it use JPG, PNG or whatever you want. The patcher utility should of course work correctly and not change anything but the path you want to alter.

Actiually it's rather simple to write a little patcher with Blitz. A Bank, Loadbytes, String replace and Savebytes, that's about it.

I sometimes use a patcher to make giles-exported Meshes use DDS, however.