Little Advice.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Little Advice.

Kenshin Yurihara(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hello,I've been thinking about getting into the 3D side of Blitz3D
for quite some time now.I've done small things and wanted to step it up some past the plain old 2D.I then thought what modeling program to use to test things? I personally use blender but blender 2.5(Alpha) doesn't have a Md2 a .B3D or a .X exporter.So I have two questions that I hope yall can answer.

1.Adding a new model format?
Is it possible to program a few things in Blitz3D to import a new model type? I'm guess yes because of other stuff it can be programmed to do.
2.What programs do yall use?
Cause if the first question is not possible I'd like to see what yall use to create the model formats blitz loads currently.

Thank You.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'm nearly 100% sure blender has a .b3d exporter... I don't know if it's community produced, but i'm pretty sure there is one.

I'd go against creating a new model format tbh. Your just causing yourself far more work, before you even begin, and it may sour the whole experience.

As for point 2, i've used a few free apps.

Wings 3D
Milkshape (small fee for this) - supports .md2 and .b3d
FragMotion is free i believe and supports .b3d (and .md2 if memory serves me)
Amapi version 4 is free. UI is a bit different, but i really like it. No texturing export option though...
Blender

GfK(Posted 2009) [#3]
There's a Blender/B3D exporter.

I was going to give you a link, but after a visit to their site and finding it as poorly laid out as the Blender UI itself, I'll leave it to you to find it. There is a link to a page on the blender site which allegedly contains a list of exporters. Unfortunately, said link is dead.

Try googling "blender export b3d" - might help.

Kenshin Yurihara(Posted 2009) [#4]
I said a Blender 2.5Alpha exporter my freinds the blender API has been completely overhauled since the old exporter I used to use it myself.I might revert back to 2.49 for the exporter though thank you.