Making an online game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Making an online game

Pooder(Posted 2009) [#1]
Me and a few friends decided on trying to make an online RPG. It is going to be a 2D platfromer much like MapleStory(Execept it will be a bit more mature). I am a fairly good programer but I have only successfully made a LAN game before. i would just like to know a few things:

1. If or How to make the StartNetGame command online.
2. If I also need to use TCP or UDP stream commands on top of that.
3. Do i need To port forward? On what ports?

If SartNetGame cannot make Internet games:

1. How to use a website to host a game.
2. How to make that website or server save files.
3. Where to buy a server and how to use it.

If you can, please help me in the simplest of terms, cause I really am bad with Netcode.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#2]
UDP, TCP, or StartNetGame
First off, you need to decide between TCP, UDP, and StartNetGame. (i'd go with UDP because TCP lags and StartNetGame doesn't allow you to pick ports (or does it?).

Networking (Overview)
You use the commands to open a stream to the server that you can write lines to and have the server read (see example code).
I would have the server running a Blitz server ( createUDPserver(port) )
then send all messages to your servers IP at the specified port through that stream.

Buying A Server
A server can be any computer on the internet (mostly) so you can buy or pay a hosting service to run your server client on that computer.

Saving Files
If you make a Blitz server client, you can save files with normal Blitz commands, but you could also use PHP or Python or even others.

Pooder(Posted 2009) [#3]
Ok just one more question, what do you put in the box for internet TCP\IP connection thing? and where do you find it?

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#4]
So you went with startNetGame()?
You will need to put in the server's IP.
Or you can host the game and then they type in your IP (you need to enable port-forwarding to connect to non-LAN computers), but if you have you're own server, use UDP instead.

PS: Is this game turn-based or real-time?