sprite blending help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/sprite blending help

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#1]
can someone please tell me where im going wrong

im trying to play about with effects and explosions
but im not having much luck

i can create all the sprite images(png) easy in lightwave
but when i load sprite in to blitz, im not getting the results i want, the sprite is blending into the backdrop (see pic)
i have tried EntityBlend, EntityAlpha flags (all of them, one after the other, round and round i go)

im trying to get the blitz render to look like the picture on right

what am doing wrong ? (apart from everything)

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#2]
Well for a start, Blitz doesn't support the Overlay blend mode; the closest you've got is Multiply, which wouldn't look exactly the same (although I'm sure it would look better than the image on the left if you used the same sprite as on the right).

You're sure you're using EntityBlend correctly? Neither EntityBlend nor EntityAlpha are "flags" - EntityAlpha shouldn't be of any relevance here anyway unless you wanted to explicitly adjust its opacity as well, but it's a floating-point - EntityBlend is a mode selector, so for multiply you'd set it to 2.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#3]
try spritecandy ^^

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#4]
thanks , if theres a way of using a command wrong i will find it ;)

i sacked entityblend and used the loadsprite flag 2 (alpha)

i seem to have got very near
using the flags in load sprite

sprite=LoadSprite("media/boom-2.png",2)

;EntityBlend sprite,2 ; this gives a solid background looses the alpha

thanks

i will take a look at sprite candy

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#5]
Hey man, hows it going :)

Sprite candy doesn't give you any other blend modes than blitz3d does, as it's made using blitz3d, so don't waste your money if your only looking for that. On the other hand, have a look at the fast extend lib. It has more blend modes than blitz3d has (I don't think it has overlay, but maybe something closer?). You may need to physically change the image, and brighten it up to reflect the final product, if your using the multiply blend mode.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hi Ross
im still messing about, explosions this time

i think ive sussed it, im just looking at how sprites are used for explosions, i keep going into halo to look at theres, looks like multiple sprites are used ..the explosions in halo 3 are superb, shame your not on XBL, i did look at XNA & C# but since i cant string a line of code together using blitz i think im out of my depth there

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
I am now an official member of xbox live. Only problem is, i'm now on phoneline broadband. It's pants...

Depending on the explosion, alot of the top games use a bunch of sprites, plus some particles, and sometimes even mesh parts flying out to give it some more bite to it. On that basis, i'd recommend particle candy. It has some pretty interesting stuff for explosions.

scribbla(Posted 2009) [#8]
man you will have to mail me your tag or add me Junker404 (message me, just to tell its you)

do you have halo 3

yep the explosions ive been looking at are sprites,and polys
in halo you can record every game , then go back in using a flying camera, pause the game and fly about looking at stuff frame by frame

i think i will give particle candy a look