Blitz3D/DeleD question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Blitz3D/DeleD question

flyingrob(Posted 2009) [#1]
I'm using DeleD PRO in conjunction with Blitz3D and seem to have a problem, being a new user it might just be me rather than a program bug.
I make two cubes in DeleD, spaced a little apart, texture them with a DeleD tga transparent material (I've tried both tga and png), and set the material to Alphablend. Everything ok at this stage. I export it into Blitz3D and move around the cubes looking at them. As you look through the nearest transparent cube the one that should be in the background appears in front. it's as if it's being drawn last like a sprite would be. It only seems to affect one cube though, and if you look through the transparent object with a solid object in the background everything appears normal, the solid object doesn't appear in front. I've tried different objects, different scenes and blitz3D programmes and get this problem all the time. I'm putting bushes and hedges in a garden so need to see between the leaves.
I've put this question on the DeleD forum and it appears to be more of a game engine problem than an editor problem, anyone got any solutions, I've tried enabling W buffer but doesn't make any difference.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#2]
this sounds like a z buffer problem, and i wouldent know how to fix it.
but you could export the 2 cubes sepratly(with non alpha blend textures), then set the cube you want transparent with entityalpha in blitz.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#3]
When you try the W-Buffer, did you try this in 16-bit mode? What about changing the screen resolution too? Though unless you are using a particularly old graphics card or onboard chip I doubt it would help...

grindalf's suggestion sounds better, but if it's the actual rendering capabilities of your hardware (with respect perhaps to B3D's Direct7 use?), (This sounds like the case, considering it occurs with other Blit programs) maybe it would still happen for you, whilst not for others...
Have you had anyone else run the code or experience the issue on different spec machines?

flyingrob(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks for the comments, the comments I got on the DeleD forum indicated it was a common problem when rendering transparent textures. I'm using the latest ATI radeon 4770 card, 3ghz core 2 duo, and a good new ASUS mb I'll try setting the transparency in Blitz and let you know if it fixes the problem.

lo-tekk(Posted 2009) [#5]
There's no z-sorting for meshes with an alpha value attached. Don't know how Deled handles the export, could be fine if exported as animmesh or try what grindalf suggests.

flyingrob(Posted 2009) [#6]
With a bare DeleD scene loaded into Blitz3d I made 3 blitz cubes and textured them with transparent textures together with alpha flag 2: works perfect. It would be a lot easier though if it could all be done in DeleD as you're building your scene. I'll see if they can fix the DeleD programme.

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#7]
I normally create my scene normally in deled then select all of one type of object and delete the rest, and export it. then reload the file in deled and export the rest of the scene. then when its loaded you can do whatever you want to your seprate sections(alpha, mask, animtexture, whatever)

flyingrob(Posted 2009) [#8]
Thanks grindalf, I think I understand that, I'll try it out later, sounds a good idea.

flyingrob(Posted 2009) [#9]
I've tried separating and exporting the objects into Blitz, and it's true you can work on them separately including changing the alpha but all that does is make the entity as a whole transparent, not just bits of it like in between leaves. Can you mask an 3d object like you can an image ? Also it's much easier to position and line up textures with DeleD than it is in Blitz

grindalf(Posted 2009) [#10]
Then only export sepratly the leaf section(the section you want masked) then when you load it into blitz reload and retexture it with your leaf texture and add the mask flag to the texture(make sure that the texture is black between the leaves though)