Get mesh animation names?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Get mesh animation names?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi all. I'm working on an rpg and before i finish it. I need to make a program which lists all the bones of a mesh, and all the animation names and their respected frame numbers as well. (like 0 - 14 : walk animation), like that.

the bones i have no problem with. but the animation names and frame numbers needs a bit of work.

code:

PS. PLEASE use psionic's b3d version of the dwarf model located on psionics website. and yes the website still works, u just have to click on the image to access the very new site.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
The animation in a b3d file doesn't store 'names'. You need to manage all that yourself...and there are many ways of doing so.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#3]
some help.. -.- i learn by example again, not by, 'it doesn't store names'

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#4]
plus. i never said i wanted to find out animations of b3d models. i wanted to find out animations of x and 3ds models.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#5]
some help.. -.- i learn by example again, not by, 'it doesn't store names'

Well, it just doesn't! What else can be said?

In case of confusion, B3D files (and X and 3DS models) do not reference animation sequences by name - just like they didn't last time you asked. They don't even maintain records of where animation sequences begin/end - its just a bunch of frames.

If you want this information you will need to figure out the animation frame sequences from your modelling app, and use a proprietary format to name/catalogue them.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2009) [#6]
the fact that dbpro can do this? why cant blitz?

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
I haven't used DBPro in years so I don't know. But the bottom line is, the mentioned file formats do not contain the information you want to retrieve in any form whatsoever. So whatever its doing, it'll be down to some post-export manipulation.

Why can't Blitz do this? It can, but you need to invent a proprietary file format to handle it. Which is probably what DBPro does.