Beta testing

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Beta testing

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#1]
Is there a beta testing thread on this site? I didn't think it made much sense to put these in the showcase since I don't know if they even start. If someone could tell me just that it'd be really helpful because now the library here doesn't let me run exes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?11caw611d7ot1e7

Last edited 2010

RifRaf(Posted 2009) [#2]
Would be a good idea to tell people what you want them to download, such as a description of what you have there, and perhaps why YOU cant tell if they start ect. ( Surely running from a library is not your only option. )

As it reads now I wont risk downloading anything, I dont mean to be rude, its just you have a very vague post with a link on it :)

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#3]
Oh sorry. It's just 2 programs I made with Blitz media linker. I had an old post about this but made some changes since then. One is Death island from the sample folder, and the other is mine. The zip has a folder called Working, which has versions that work on my computer because they have an archive file with them, and the others don't because they were made to be single file executables, which now for some reason never seem to work on my computer.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#4]
People on programming forums (myself included) are the absolute last people you should be using for beta testing.

No disrespect to anybody here but most would manage to find fault with perfection. You'll get contradicting and endless reports about why their method of doing something is better than how its currently done, and better than however anybody else has suggested it. You'll get really picky reports about the grass being the wrong shade of green (I have a long memory). You'll get people asking for "feature A" to work in a certain way, then when you do it, they'll suggest having it like it was in the first place. Others will give it a 5 minute play and a random click-about and that'll be that.

Seriously - been there, done that, got t-shirts. If you need reliable beta testing, don't do it.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#5]
I agree... programmers make a good alpha testers though because they can suggest why something might be happening when its not working; however, when you go beta.. you really need "general users" to test playability, fun-factor and the like.. if you are testing functionality then stay in alpha

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#6]
Here's an article I came across while Googling the subject.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/BetaTest.html

It would be interesting to start up a social networking community based around free game beta testing, actually. Just thinking out loud.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#7]
most would manage to find fault with perfection

Okay. I kind of made a mental note about that a while ago when I saw someones pretty good looking game get ripped to shreds. In this case though, I just need somebody to see if the files open and run, since they don't on my computer anymore, and I have no other computer to test it on.