Chopping a Loaded Mesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Chopping a Loaded Mesh

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#1]
So I made a great Terrain in 3D Max but it has a massive amount of polys.

Now I know more is bad, and less is good...etc...but is there a clever way to have B3D only render a portion of the Verts from a large single mesh within a certain radius of the player ?

I have looked around and cannot seem to find what I'm looking for.

Any help would be great, thx.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#2]
Yes, it's called the terrain system. That's why people use terrains instead of meshes. I'm guessing that you're trying to avoid using that for some reason, but I don't know.

You should be able to convert your mesh to a heightmap quite easily. I think there's a way to do it in 3dsMax actually, but if not, you could easily load the mesh and do the conversion in code. Then you can use the resulting heightmap to use the terrain system, which will automatically do dynamic LOD for you.

It is possible to do something directly with a mesh, but Blitz3D doesn't really offer the kind of low level access you would need to do that at a good speed.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2009) [#3]
you can export heightmap from 3dsmax based on mesh terrain as gabriel said, however, you can slice in to smaller chunks your level in 3dsmax and load it like that and just do occlusion over loaded chunks..that was working fine for me when i was with B3D..main reason why I use to avoid B3D terrains is that it was only 8-bit if im not mistaken..and never came even near quality of mesh terrain I was able to buil in 3dsmax, so all i did is slice it in to smaller, managable chunks and just load all of them...it was working like a charm..

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yeah, blitz terrains kind of suck, depending on what you need from them. Texturing is pretty limited on blitz terrains, and the LOD stuff, can be quite time consuming.