Newbie legal question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Newbie legal question

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#1]
If I do mention that I own the copy of Blitz3D, which way would be right: can I write my Blitz3D serial number publicly or should I use link [http://blitzbasic.com/Account/showuser.php?id=11534]?

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#2]
No, don't mention your Blitz3D serial number publicly. That's not a good idea at all. I'm not really sure I understand why you want to mention that you own Blitz3D. Are you trying to prove it to someone? I guess a link to your account is as good as anything, but I'm not entirely sure I see what you're trying to achieve in the first instance.

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#3]
I see your point :) Just want to know what to do with these two dozens of symbols ;)

Zethrax(Posted 2009) [#4]
You use the registration code to register the product on the product registration page at: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Account/regprod.php

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#5]
No sir, I had to enter my code due the singup process and it came to that page automaticly :)

Warner(Posted 2009) [#6]
If you ever loose your copy, or for some other reason need to prove that you legally bought the product, you'll need that number. So it is a good idea to keep it somewhere safe. And it is best not to share it, otherwise others can use it to prove they are you.

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#7]
It has revealed that people couldn't see my account at [http://www.blitzbasic.com/Account/showuser.php?id=11534]. They see 'ERROR:Internal error' message there instead. And two voices say that the serial must be kept secretly...

So once more: what is the right way to mention that I own a Blitz3D copy?

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
Mention to WHO?

You can only view the account page if you are currently logged in with a username/password to the website, so people who don't have an account can't view your details.

If you need to proof that you have one of the programs to BlitzBasic themselves, they can view your account or look you up by the serial number. There is no way for strangers to verify that you have Blitz3D, other than just having them take your word for it.

I'm kind of at a loss what you're actually trying to accomplish here, though...

Either way, posting your serial is a very bad idea since it can lead to others pretending to be you and mess with your account. Also, if people use your serial to install steal blitz3D themselves, you will probably find your account blocked and you wouldn't be able to download updates yourself anymore.

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#9]
To strangers, man, you're right :) And also to my friends, customers, partners and opponents... there are people who still think that I fool them when I say I use Blitz3D to achieve their goals, do you know? :) Okey, three voices for not posting the serial.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#10]
Why not just show them the source code? It will only compile in blitz3d.

Floyd(Posted 2009) [#11]
Or show them this serial number:

QJI-AMBRZ-P73MB-VUAYA-MT

which I just made up now.

You could make a fake email from Blitz Research to go with it.

gosse(Posted 2009) [#12]
o_O

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#13]
Just take a short video of you writing a Blitz Program in thre IDE.

Warner(Posted 2009) [#14]
There is an alternative, but I'm not sure if I should mention it. You should stare into a mirror, stroke it three times while saying "Blitz3D". Then "puki" will appear. He can confirm if you have a valid copy or not. But you must give "puki" something in return, such as really good models , functions for rendering thousands of animated meshes in one go, or Blitz3D 2.0.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#15]
The thought of looking in the mirror and puki appearing behind you, frankly, terrifies me... Now, The blonde agent from Chuck, that's a different matter :P

Destroyer(Posted 2009) [#16]
@RossC
Im sure your miss'us would agree ;)

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#17]
Erm... :D good thing she don't read the forums :)

steve_ancell(Posted 2009) [#18]

WildCat (Posted 13 hours ago) #7
So once more: what is the right way to mention that I own a Blitz3D copy?

They don't need to know, that business is between you and Blitz Research Limited.

If they really want to be that nozy, just tell them it's genuine. If they don't believe you, then that's their problem !

If they insist that you tell them your Blitz-User-ID (or any of your details), then they are up to no good IMO.

WildCat(Posted 2009) [#19]
Thank you guyz for your advices and humor :)