startNetGame

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/startNetGame

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#1]
I am trying to make a game that uses startNetGame() to make an online game, but it doesn't seem to connect my laptop and desktop.

Anyone know whats wrong?

Warner(Posted 2009) [#2]
Maybe it is this: when you start up StartNetGame, it says you can leave your IP address blank, but you should enter it if you want to create anything other than a local connection.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#3]
Just tried,
doesn't seem to work

Warner(Posted 2009) [#4]
Make sure it is the right IP address. Go to Start->Run->Enter "cmd"->Enter "ipconfig"
If that doesn't work, it could be something firewall related. I'm afraid I don't know how you can solve that.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#5]
I always test net stuff with a 127.0.0.1 IP bnefore trying it with another computer.

In the case here, are you using a router and 192.168.xx.xx local IP range? You may need to check your Router config and allow for the port(s) you want to use for your app to be forwarded.

Ensure Blitzcc.exe and IDE.exe are not blocked by your firewall too.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#6]
I have a cable modem, and then a wireless router.
Ill try the 127.0.0.1 now

@Warner - Yes, I have tried my IP

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#7]
OK, yes it is just my routers firewall.
Completely forgot about 127.0.0.1
Thanks

Ill see what I can do.
I have a NetGear WNR 2000 if anyone knows anything about it.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#8]
www.portforward.com

Has lots of useful information.
You have an advantage with your blitz app over the games mentioned on that site that in you can specify yourself which port(s) your app will use.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#9]
Which port does startNetGame() use.
I can't find a way to set the port with that command.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#10]
Sorry, It was the UDP/TCP/IP functions where you can specify the port. For StartNetGame try these

DirectPlay Ports (According to the DirectX SDK):

47624, 2300 - 2400

Warner(Posted 2009) [#11]
You could maybe try BlitzPlay instead? Don't know if it's still around. It has more or less similair commands as the DirectPlay/NetGame, only it uses UDP. I'm sure you can specify a port for it.

AJ00200(Posted 2009) [#12]
OK, I'll try both of those out.
Thanks