ModifyTerrain MAV

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/ModifyTerrain MAV

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#1]
I think I'm missing something really obvious here, but I can't see any wood for the trees.

The Terrain definitely exists, so the issue isn't to do with that:

Function RandomiseTerrain(Terr)
	Local Temp#=Rnd(-5.0,5.0)	
	Local Temp2#=Rnd(1.0,9.0)
	Local ModifyY#=0.0
	For ModifyX=1 To TerrainSize(Terr)
		For ModifyZ=1 To TerrainSize(Terr)
			ModifyY#=(Abs(Temp#*Temp2#)*0.1)
			ModifyTerrain Terr,ModifyX,ModifyZ,ModifyY#,True
			Temp#=Rnd(-5.0,5.0)	
			Temp2#=(Temp2#-(Sgn(Temp2#)))
			If ((Abs(Temp2))<0.01)
				Temp2#=Rnd(1.0,9.0)
			End If
		Next
	Next
	RenderWorld
End Function

If I edit the Modify line to read:

ModifyTerrain Terr,ModifyX,ModifyZ,0.1

I get no error, although the debug window shows that the ModifyY# values should be valid (at least, they fall between 0.0 and 1.0 and the for/next loops never get past the first value (1) )

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#2]
Should the TerrainSize() loop be zero-indexed?

For ModifyX=0 To TerrainSize(Terr)-1

?

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#3]
the only way i have a MAV with your code is if this line include the True (realtime). with out the flag i have no problems. I supose that it is unnecesary because you are calling RenderWorld to accept all the modifications.

Juan

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#4]
the only way i have a MAV with your code is if this line include the True (realtime). with out the flag i have no problems. I supose that it is unnecesary because you are calling RenderWorld to accept all the modifications.

The Renderworld was only in there as I experimented with a Realtime=False flag. However, I still got a MAV there. Weird. :S

Should the TerrainSize() loop be zero-indexed?

I tried both starting from 0 and 1, same thing :(

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#5]
do at leas one RenderWorld before any modification, i donīt know why but it work. I put a renderworld inside your function and MAV dissapear.
from the CreateTerrain example (added your function):

juan

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#6]
Hm... maybe the 3D 'stuff' needs to be initialised or something.

Weird that.

but thanks a lot, Charrua. Works here too :)

If anyone knows WHY the Renderworld() needs to be called BEFOREHAND, please let me know, I'm quite curious :D

Warner(Posted 2009) [#7]
I guess that the actual terrain isn't created until RenderWorld is called.

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#8]
i try LoadTerrain and with any previous RenderWorld and works ok!. Aparently LoadTerrain create the terrain previous to RenderWorld and CreateTerrain no (?). I don't know but is strange that 2 similar (should be the same) commands has diferent behavior. Its a mav not so obvious. In the midle of more code probably this were the las i ask or think for.

Juan

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#9]

try LoadTerrain and with any previous RenderWorld and works ok!. Aparently LoadTerrain create the terrain previous to RenderWorld and CreateTerrain no (?).

This would seem to agree with
I guess that the actual terrain isn't created until RenderWorld is called.

Makes sense.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#10]
I scrapped the idea for a separate function that generated and modified the terrain all in one.

It works okay most of the time, but on occasion I still get a MAV when the Program next calls Renderworld.

Looking back through the DebugLog, I don't see anything that stands out, but then, perhaps I'm not sure what I should be checking for.

As an example, I will try to obtain copy of the debug output for an instance where it fails. (Typically of course, it's not MAV when I test it now...