need a graphics resolution advice

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/need a graphics resolution advice

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#1]
i note some computer don't support some graphics resolution...

my question is, what resolution is standard?, to run a setup to choose a graphic resolution?..

i mean, when you install the game, fist time ask for graphics?, what resolution can i give to that setup?

regards

puki(Posted 2009) [#2]
A standard base resolution is 800 x 600.

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#3]
Agreed

puki(Posted 2009) [#4]
Just a shame that Atari hadn't worked that one out when they first released Test Drive Unlimited.

Half the world were met with 'Signal out of Range' warning messages from their monitors.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=6eN&q=%22test+drive+unlimited%22+%22signal+out+of+range%22&btnG=Search&meta=

"puki" bleated his way to the top of the Google list.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#5]
You could start in windowed mode at 800x600 first, as that may be more likely to work straight out of the box on any display?

Happy to be corrected though..

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#6]
i go to use that, 800x600

graphics3d 800,600,0,1

regards and thanks..

Tobo(Posted 2009) [#7]
I always use these guys. They tend to know what's going on.

W3 Schools

T.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#8]

Local Modes=CountGfxModes()
Modes=Int(Modes Shr True)

Graphics3D GfxModeWidth(Modes),GfxModeHeight(Modes)

Or use a DLL to grab the current Desktop resolution?

Generally 800x600 should be supported, allthough I think 1024x768 is becoming increasingly more common as a 'standard' for newer stuff.

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#9]
What would be nice is to read the current monitor's refresh rate and update your game based on that (like, CreateTimer(monitorRefresh%)).

blade007(Posted 2009) [#10]
Kryzon wrote...
What would be nice is to read the current monitor's refresh rate and update your game based on that (like, CreateTimer(monitorRefresh%)).

That's a really good idea, and I think I will try it :)

chi(Posted 2009) [#11]
@kryzon & blade...

here is a little function i use to get the "monitor refresh rate". just use it after graphics(3d)...
Function getMonHz()
	devmode% = CreateBank (200)
	mode% = -1
	rc% = 1
	PokeShort(devmode%,36, 200)
	rc% = api_EnumDisplaySettings (0, mode%, devmode%)
	;PelsWidth% = PeekInt (devmode%, 108)
	;PelsHeight% = PeekInt (devmode%, 112)
	DisplayFrequency% = PeekShort (devmode%, 120)
	FreeBank devmode%
	Return DisplayFrequency%
End Function

; user32.decls
.lib "user32.dll"
api_EnumDisplaySettings% (lpszDeviceName%, iModeNum%, lpDevMode*) : "EnumDisplaySettingsA"

cheers, chi

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#12]
Sweet!

Nice one chi, and good idea, Kryzon

----
edit:

Does this use User32.dll ?
What decls. are needed?

edit edit:

Doh, I didnt see the bopttom bit, or was that edited in after? :) Thanks anyway!

bumpy(Posted 2009) [#13]
640 X 480 allows correct display for most games but for better rendering you may choose 800X600 or 1024X768 especially if you writte a 3D game

Kryzon(Posted 2009) [#14]
Very nice one Chi! [2]

and good idea Kryzon - uh, I mean, thanks Malice.

That snippet will come in very handy, it's been something I've been wanting to do for a while but didn't know how to read that number into B3D.

Good day for everyone.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#15]
Wow, I always thought it was 640x480 for maximum compatibility. My computer's about seven years old, and everything always runs much faster in 640. 1024's really slow, and I just never really messed around with 800x600 because it just sounds nonstandard to begin with. When was that considered such a standard that people still think of it that way now?

BLaBZ(Posted 2009) [#16]
640X480 = optimum DOS output