DirectShows commonness

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/DirectShows commonness

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#1]
Before I decide to use the DirectShow commands in my game I'd just like to know, what are the chances someone will download my game and the cut scenes won't play because their computer doesn't have DirectShow? If the chances are high, is it okay then for me to distribute DirectShow with my game? Lastly, almost the same question as the first but not quite, what versions of Windows come with DirectShow?

Warner(Posted 2009) [#2]
DirectShow is a part of DirectX. So it is usually present. I think of more concern is the installed video codecs on a user's PC.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#3]
I don't like it. Given the choice of making a cut scene editor for my engine, and making actual video cut scenes in Maya and having them maybe run right on all machines, I'll take the first choice. I trust Blitz more than codecs.

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#4]
Real time cutscenes are better than precorded (is that even a word?) cutscenes.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#5]
You may want to check just in case, but I think you could include the DirectX Redistibutable, or at least link to the microsoft directx download page for those who don't have it.

Anyway, I think the chances of someone NOT having it are very slim, unless they're on a workstation that's specifically locked against it, in which case, I doubt they'd eb able to download games either :D

As Warner says, the users codecsare more likely to be more of a factor, but typically FFDShow is a common enough though and I believe is the basis for the Microsoft AVI codecs.