DrawMovie and render tweening

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/DrawMovie and render tweening

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#1]
Just a few questions about DrawMovie's example in the docs. I understand that the changeable framerate code given there is just for if you're using a gif as a movie, and that mpgs and avis have timing info and gifs don't, but is that related? What is timing info exactly? Is it like render tweening? I use that to make sure my game runs the same speed on all computers, but can I just trust that DrawMovie will do it automatically for my mpgs and avis? Or do I need to somehow integrate the framerate code into the render tweening code?

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#2]
From my experience, Movies (i.e. avi ) are played at whaetver timing info is inherent in their encoding, regardless of the framerate of the rest of your program.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#3]
Okay, now I'm having a little problem where, I hit run, and the movie's sound starts to play while everything's still loading. Then the screen comes up, and the sound abruptly stops. I assigned the video to start on a key press, so that hasn't happened yet, but then when I do press it, the video sort of fast forwards or skips to as far as the sound got to, then runs the rest of the video awkwardly from there! What's going on here?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#4]
Possibly it's not decoding your video properly.

What video format and/or codec are you using?

You might want to see if your video works better with the BlitzMovie dll (from here http://www.blitzmax.com/logs/userlog.php?user=8652&log=1737).

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#5]
Thanks, I'll try that. I'm pretty attached to Blitz media linker though. Will I still be able to use that? And when people get my engine, will I have to give them Blitz movie with it?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
I would imagine so, it's just a plain old dll. Yes, if you use a custom dll then you need to distribute it with your program.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#7]
Then, if I didn't want to do that, would you say maybe finding a more dependable video type would be a good alternative? Maybe one that works with the average codec people use when playing Blitz games?