Okay, why isn't my PLANE being textured?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Okay, why isn't my PLANE being textured?

Tobo(Posted 2009) [#1]
Dear all,

Just testing stuff (still) and I have a quick question; I have grabbed an image I have called TEXTURE, and I want to texture my plane with it.

However, when I try to, it says that the texture doesn't exist! Can't I texture in this method, or does the graphic have to be loaded, rather than created?

I've tried searching, but either return thousands or just one hit; either of which haven't helped me too much.

Graphics3D 800,600,32,2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;2D texture stuff
tex1=CreateImage(64,64)
For f=0 To 250
	Plot Rnd(64),Rnd(64)
Next
GrabImage texture,0,0

;light
light=CreateLight()

;camera
cam=CreateCamera()
PositionEntity cam,0,3,-5
RotateEntity cam,20,0,0

;plane
plane=CreatePlane()
EntityTexture plane,texture

;player
player=CreateCube()
ScaleEntity player,.5,2,.5

;main loop
While Not KeyDown(1)

RenderWorld

Flip

Wend
End

Sorry for being a dunce; we all start somewhere, eh!

T

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#2]
Textures aren't the same as images. You create textures with CreateTexture and LoadTexture - their commands are documented in the "3D" section rather than "2D". Instead of GrabImage (there isn't a direct equivalent for textures) you'll need to use CopyRect. Or, if you're only using GrabImage for the sake of creating a random texture, you might prefer to go straight to using WritePixelFast.

Pirate(Posted 2009) [#3]
i guess me and yasha posted at about the same time...since his poat explains it better i have removed mine....

Tobo(Posted 2009) [#4]
Lovely jubbly. Thanks, guys.

This works...
Graphics3D 800,600,32,2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;2D texture stuff
tex1=CreateTexture(64,64)
SetBuffer TextureBuffer(tex1)
For f=0 To 250
	Plot Rnd(64),Rnd(64)
Next

SetBuffer BackBuffer()

;light
light=CreateLight()

;camera
cam=CreateCamera()
PositionEntity cam,0,3,-5
RotateEntity cam,20,0,0

;plane
plane=CreatePlane()
EntityTexture plane,tex1

;player
player=CreateCube()
ScaleEntity player,.5,2,.5

;main loop
While Not KeyDown(1)

RenderWorld

Flip

Wend
End

It seems a lot of SETBUFFERing, is this method okay?

T

Yasha(Posted 2009) [#5]
Nothing wrong there. As long as you remember to set the buffer back to BackBuffer() before rendering the 3D view, you can change it as much as you want.

A note, though: it isn't important here, but if you want to draw in real time (ie. every frame), it's better to lock the buffer and use WritePixelFast (funnily enough, that has a buffer parameter so you don't actually need to SetBuffer, although you can anyway to make things clearer) as unlocked drawing commands like Plot can be quite slow by comparison.