Custom fonts

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Custom fonts

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi, could someone just tell me what to search for? In a few Blitz3D games I've downloaded, the program folder has had an image file with letters and numbers used in the game instead of a font file. What is that technique called? I didn't see it mentioned in the commands.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#2]
bitmap fonts.

There's no built-in method of doing it - you'll need to write your own. Or look for Juicyfonts or Fontext.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#3]
Great, thank you.

Stuart(Posted 2013) [#4]
There always seems precious little information on stuff.
What I did was load the graphic with the letters , numbers, whatever you wanted, into an animated image file name.

Then I created a function - it's a long winded way and I'm sure that there are easier ways to do it, but this is what my code looks like.
Call it using message("Text to put on screen in here",x pos on screen, y pos screen, z=0 or 1 - 1 creates a box around the text)

fox95871(Posted 2013) [#5]
Ha ha! "Posted 4 years ago, posted 4 days ago." Well this is a surprise. Hmm, I'll take a look at your code, but actually I wrapped up that project quite some time ago. And by wrapped up I mean... spent days or possibly weeks, I don't remember which, creating a system where antialiased letters are textured onto an otherwise invisible mesh that's always facing the camera. You just write whatever you want on a txt file, and it appears like a subtitle on the screen. Ah! But as it turned out, I ended up preferring text on solid backgrounds instead, and so the project was scrapped. I... don't suppose anyone would be interested in me posting it?

It's cool, when I was totally clueless about programming back then, everyone here was so helpful, I was able to make dropdown menus, antialiased meshes, eight directional walking running and jumping controls, and lots of other stuff, so I'll be happy to dig up my old antialiased fonts project if anyone replies saying they need it, otherwise it is kind of a pain.