blitz has limits?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/blitz has limits?

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#1]
I wonder if blitz has limits on the amount of lines that can have a program or complexity.

i have 10,000 lines for the moment, that is a problem for compiler?

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#2]
10,000 is fine. I think breaking it down into includes for specific sets of functions is much more managable and easier to maintain. Each to their own though.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#3]
It's a million right? I'm afraid of that myself, I like longhand code.

Mortiis(Posted 2009) [#4]
It just takes longer to compile and results as a bigger executable, I don't think there is a limit.

Santiworld(Posted 2009) [#5]
:)

only to know the concept..

when you use Includes functions, others .bb files..

when run the compiler, alls .bb are merged to the same .exe?..

the concept is work with diferents .bb? before compile?

i ask for the limit, becouse i wrote programs with Quick Basic before know blitz exists... :) and my last game in QBasic, i exceeds the compiler limit, and my game never was complete for that reason... :)

i love blitz!!!!!!!

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#6]
There is a limit per .bb file. I don't know if it's an IDE problem, but having too many (over 5,000??) won't compile. However, if you break it into includes, it will be fine. This issue was raised a good while ago, and i'm unsure if it was fixed.

GfK(Posted 2009) [#7]
but having too many (over 5,000??) won't compile.
I've seen single source code files (won't name names) which are over 5x that, and compiled perfectly (but slowly).

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#8]
Hmmm, there definetly was a limit that was run into a good while back. Wish blitz forums went back that far... But i'm assuming 25,000 K source code in the blitz default IDE, should be plenty of code for one file? I assume you split your's up dave?

[EDIT] was it perhaps the size of the .bb...

GfK(Posted 2009) [#9]
I assume you split your's up dave?
I didn't prior to using Blitzmax.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#10]
So, you didn't have an includes? Interesting. Why so in blitzmax then?

Adam Novagen(Posted 2009) [#11]
Probably because BMAX is all about "modular" programming, or so I've gathered...

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#12]
I dont know about any limits except blitz 3d will never copy more than 25 k lines in one copy paste. It simply cant handle it.

fox95871(Posted 2009) [#13]
I know I read somewhere you can't go over a million lines. Has that been changed now in newer versions?

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#14]
Ok, i saved a 30,000 line blitz code and it won't open by double clicking, but it will open from the IDE >>> FILE >> OPEN

So, my apologies for the mis-information.

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#15]
I've seen many problems with the IDE bugging out, overwriting code, and generally corrupting your hard work when single source files get big. (10,000 lines was my usual area where everything went sideways.)

Never witnessed any problems compiling it though.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2009) [#16]
I never had any problems, biggest sourcecode is 13965 lines in 435 KB.

Using much bigger files may slow down the IDE at some point I guess. You can however test this easily:

z=100000
wr=writefile("test.bb")
for i=1 to z
 writeline wr,"dummy=0"
next
closefile wr