texturing doesnt work :|

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/texturing doesnt work :|

ping(Posted 2009) [#1]
hello forum,
i got a problem with the textures i want to put on objects i created with lightwave. i can put textures on them in lightwave and that works fine but they disappear in blitz3d (.3ds filde), only the color is exported - same thing when i export them without textures and try to put textures in blitz3d.
any ideas?
thx
ping

Dreamora(Posted 2009) [#2]
only color exported sounds like you did not UV unwrap the model
you can not use spherical mapping and alike, you need to have real UV coordinates.

Also 3DS format is 8.3 naming for textures. so at max 8 letters in texture name, 3 in its file extension

ping(Posted 2009) [#3]
thx a lot dreamora!

OwlEpicurus(Posted 2009) [#4]
How do you do that? I've tried UV mapping and it hasn't worked. What am I missing? I use Blender for creating the models, by the way.

stayne(Posted 2009) [#5]
There are a million tuts on the 'net for UV mapping.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/UV_Map_Basics

SLotman(Posted 2009) [#6]
3DS file format doesn't include textures, just it's names in the format. You'll have to load them and apply them manually.

Switch to .B3D or .X, it's much better than 3DS, and it includes the texture information, so you don't have to manually load them.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
.3ds should load textures. The samples that come with blitz load the textures, i'm sure.

I agree about .3ds being a crappy format though, in blitz.

OwlEpicurus(Posted 2009) [#8]
I've already tried .x instead of .3ds, and I've already completed that tutorial from wikibooks. What are some other good tutorials for UV mapping that you know will produce a model with textures that work with Blitz? Any other suggestions?

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#9]
Buy Ultimate Unwrap, or download something like fragmotion for free. Both come with .b3d exporters.

A UV map, is when the UV's of each vertex are laid out, in a 2d fashion. The UV's refer to points (from 0 to 1 usually if not tiled) on a texture.

When exporting to .b3d, make sure the model and the texture are in the same folder.