For those new to Blitz3D and programming.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/For those new to Blitz3D and programming.

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#1]
Hi there. I just thought I'd post in order to point out a few things that may (or may not) help you along your way. I notice quite a few people haviing some decent ideas for games, but with absolutely no clue with regards to how to proceed on making them, and very little knowledge on blitz's commands.

Before you even consider starting a game, such as the size of a RPG, you should, for your own sanity and progression, start off with a simple game. Something along the lines of tetris, or space invaders. Ask yourself the question.

Could I program Tetris? Could I make a Space Invaders clone? What about a mine sweeper game?

Think also about the game you are creating. What will it involve, code wise? Do I have the knowledge to do these things? Can I move a character about the screen? Or detect when my character is near a door? What about the other characters in my game. How will I handle them?

Can I get my characters to move around on their own, or follow a set of waypoints. What about a script? How will you set up what each character has to say? Data statements? An array? What about a type collection?

Ask yourself alot of these question before proceeding into a large project. I know the appeal of playing a RPG then coming into Blitz and loading a 3d mesh and texturing it. You mind starts to wonder and think of how great it would be to do your own, and you set out right away to get your character (probably a cube or a cone) moving around the screen, and you feel alot has been accomplished.

After all, moving your character is one of the most important parts of making your game. Now, it's just the small matter of everything else.

I'm not having a go at anyone learning a language. Everyone has their own ways of doing things, but there is nothing more frustrating than seeing people who have just joined the forums, and asking a broad ranging question like:

"How do I move my character about and speak to people, and get them to give me items?"

If you've ever asked that, your NOT ready to be making a RPG game. Again. Break that down there. You have 3 different aspects of your game just there. 2 of them pretty big.

1. Speaking to people. This would involve giving each character a list of things to say, even giving the character options for replies. Each text the character says, has to link to another, and possibly loop ever. Talking to that character might lead to another character reacting differently to you. It's a huge part of your game, and not something can be just programmed without any knowledge of programming in general.

2. Items in a RPG (or any related games). Again, a massive part of your game. Most RPG rely on items to drive your quests and each needs to be thought out on what purpose it serves. Most importantly, you'll need a good understand of the underlying code. Can you drop items at anytime? Or use items only at certain locations. How will you determine if you are at that location. The list goes on and on.

However. If you create a simple tetris game, which in my experience, is easier than space invaders, you build up your coding skills, and you can apply these to more advanced skills.

You will learn to:
Use arrays,
Draw images (or move meshes)
Take input from the keyboard
Have a front end, where you choose options.
Keep a score.
Learn about game timing.

All of these things are vital to move to the next level. I hope I have helped at least one beginner here. Just remember we aren't frustrated because you are learners, or new to the language, but because you are making things alot more difficult and frustrating for yourself.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#2]
Well said.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2009) [#3]
ditto
although id rather the gazilionth pong/breakout/space invaders game wasnt released to the wild ;)

its best that you learn from established techniques than jump straight into an enormous project of any genre, i remember the initial release of b3D and quake killers that were all nowt but pipe dreams posted by people who hadnt even made a hello world

enemy ai pathfinding used in pacman although simple was nothing much more than "can i see pac?" and if i hit a wall do i turn left or right, keep walking till you see pac, chace pac untill you catch or loose sight of pac and go back to walking around
a skeletal warrior should not be able to see you from behind 3 solid stone walls but when he does one of many path finding routines would get him to you for a bit of a fight

Gabriel(Posted 2009) [#4]
Very nice introductory thread. Given that there is only one sticky in this forum, perhaps it could be stickied. (Hint, hint!)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#5]
I agree with Gabriel.. sticky!

I completely agree with your post Ross C. I used to be one of those people a few years ago however now the only big problem I have is a budget and art. I spent years using blitz basic and qbasic and c++ to make random and seemingly pointless games like tetris and space invaders as well as some platformers all of wich were small and short. Although these games seemed pointless, every time I made a new one, I learned a lot and got better and more efficient at coding. I am not saying that I am perfect now, in fact I am far from perfect. The moral of the story is dont rush! it takes a long time to program basic things when you first start but if you spend a few years making random seemingly pointless games and clones of games, your programming skills will build up to where you can easily and efficiently make a full blown game... ok I take back the easily part.. it is still quite a challenge but it is more enjoyable than trying to do an MMORPG as your first small project

sorry for the rant :)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2009) [#6]
This should be sticky because it is very good points from Ross C

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#7]
Yes, yes, nice information...
You must learn to BOIL the water before learning to cook spaghetti.

Rocket Propelled Guns(RPG) should not be attempted to be made by beginners... same for Role Playing Games(RPG) hehe ;)

Ye shalt not jump off a freakin huge cliff unless ye know how to fly. If ye doeth jumpeth offeth that cliff without knowing how to fly, the land dwellers will become mad that they have to scrape your dumbself off the ground. (new word, dumbself)

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#8]
hmm a bit off topic but I always thought rpg in weapons terms stood for rocket propelled grenades not rocket propelled guns...?

GIB3D(Posted 2009) [#9]
Pfft... sucks for me... my whole life I've heard "Rocket Propelled Gun" this and "Rocket Propelled Gun" that, never did make sense to me why the gun itself would be rocket propelled. According to this website, Rocket Propelled Guns don't even exist RPG:( You were right :) Now I'll never have to say Rocket Propelled Gun ever again :D But the problem is, why are some called RPG's and fire missles and some fire grenades? BUM BUM BUMMMMMMMMMMMM

To Be Continued

Nate the Great(Posted 2009) [#10]
wow im glad I seem to have turned someone's life around for the better... well maybe thats an exageration.. anyway I think they all fire grenades with a rocket on the back which basicly ends up looking like a small missile :)

back on topic..