mmorpg world editor

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/mmorpg world editor

chrisnorris007(Posted 2009) [#1]
I need a good cheap / or free easy to use b3d editor to create world levels for a mmorpg :)

thanks
chris

Jasu(Posted 2009) [#2]
Blender with B3D export plugin.
...uh, easy to use? Forget it.

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#3]
I don't know if by world editor, you mean landscapes and such.
I myself use ALE, and then there are TED, L3DT though you'll need a plugin for b3d support.

Also, you can look in the toolbox section of this website to find a whole list of world editors that work with Blitz 3D.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#4]
How cheap is cheap? If you are willing to spend money on servers and support for a mmorpg then surely you can afford decent software?

chrisnorris007(Posted 2009) [#5]
i mean the entire world..from placing objects in the world ie buildilngs and such...and making it into a b3d file...or some form of map file that b3d supports...for the level..

like a level editor

Sterling(Posted 2009) [#6]
XWorld 3D http://www.freewebs.com/kefir/#xworld

Ross C(Posted 2009) [#7]
Gile[s] is free. It's a pretty decent editor, and does lightmapping.

_PJ_(Posted 2009) [#8]
Gile[s] is free. It's a pretty decent editor, and does lightmapping

!! Wow.. just had to go look now that you said that! Gile[s] is VERY good, and quite easy to use. As Ross says here, it's now free, and so I wouldn't miss the opportunity to a least try it out :)

Charrua(Posted 2009) [#9]
Hi, I discover giles[s] recently.

you could define custom properties from inside gile[s] and then with a "b3d parser" you could reach the data from your code. See:
http://www.frecle.net/download/gile[s]-b3d-parser.zip
really interesting. With ALE you could use a Loader to build the world from the .txt you export, but with Gile[s] you create a single .b3d with all the elements inside as child meshes. With the parser you can have acces to them and those properties you define.

best regards

Juan

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#10]
I always thought Giles was a lightmapper!

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2009) [#11]
@chrisnorriss007

I do not want to discourage you from using B3D to build your MMORPG.
It is a decent program to work with. I plan on using it to build my RPG game with. (Yeah, the Asian Pounder series of RPGs).
But look into Visual3D.net. It is an indie MMORPG system that costs only $200 or a little more. its based on C#, and according to its advertisements, has its own server and client technology system.

Wings(Posted 2009) [#12]
try out the betseda editor. comes with Oblivion Tes editor 4

So you know what you asking from.

A mmo is harder to code than a Bulten Board system

Mahan(Posted 2009) [#13]
... ALE, and then there are TED, ...

I've got both ALE and T.ED. and T.ED is much better imho.

With it you can edit huger landscapes in realtime. Also the GUI and menus of T.ED are logical and filled with "nice to have" functions, whereas ALE is so poor on functions I get the feeling that the author just made the functions he was forced to do to make it a sell able product. (examples: Import export functions, terrain making/painting brushes shapes etc. Automatic rule-based coloring, "Sea level", "Ground level" etc.)

If I remember right I paid 40EUR for ALE and 25EUR for T.ED so I'll have to reconsider my old habit of buying the most expensive one to get the most quality.

Besides from now on I'll check the forums of different products before buying. On the T.ED forum you can see that the author (Dan i think he's called) is highly active with helping customers to get their programs to work. I don't event know if there are any ALE forums.

Don't get me wrong ALE still does its job and I used it for a while. But after I started using T.ED, ALE has paled so much I'd say it's like comparing Win3.11 to MacOSX or something like that. I'll never look back.