Texture Move .vs EntityRotate ?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Texture Move .vs EntityRotate ?

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#1]
I was wondering in terms of performance what of my two options will be best.

1. Rotate my pipe via the rotate command (it is 50% alpha)
2. Move the texture on it every 2nd frame via the PositionTexture command.

I have a texture on the pipe that I want to "rotate" for VfX...but I need to know if one has better performance than the other...or...more compatable with older video cards or laptops with crappy GfX.

I've tested both ideas on all 5 comps in my house, and no diff on any of them- or atleast none that I can notice.

thx :)

Stevie G(Posted 2009) [#2]
I've tested both ideas on all 5 comps in my house, and no diff on any of them- or atleast none that I can notice.

In which case, you've answered your own question. The overheads of using either are negligible regardless of the system specs.

Matty(Posted 2009) [#3]
Please note however that by rotating/positioning the texture you will do so to all instances of that texture in your game environment - so all your pipes etc sharing that texture will appear to have their texture rotated.

CodeOrc(Posted 2009) [#4]
@ Stevie- TY, I assumed the same, however the B3D community always seems to more knowledgeable than me so I thought I'd check with all you veterans :)

@Matty- Yes you are correct, lucky for me the texture in question is only designated for the one set of geometry. But ty for pointing it out.