The rocket icon

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/The rocket icon

fox95871(Posted 2008) [#1]
Is there a way to have your own icon for your game, or does it have to be the rocket icon? Not a shortcut with a custom icon, I already know how to do that. But not everyone unzips to the desktop or keeps the folder there, so it's pretty unreliable.

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
Asked and answered 21398129371 times. Search the forum, use reshacker.

fox95871(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thank you!

fox95871(Posted 2008) [#4]
I had some trouble with Resource Hacker at first because the icon was getting replaced only about half the time. Then I realized that using Save As and giving it the same name - which is supposed to replace the original - wasn't replacing it at all as far as I could tell. Windows still showed the same Modified date, and the icons were still in the same wrong state. Then I tried using Save As and giving it a new name, and it worked perfectly. I don't really care about that mystery, I just wanted to make it known, but what I do care about is, doesn't basically remaking the .exe with Resource Hacker compress it? If so, are there any drawbacks to distributing compressed Blitz3D programs? It's seems pretty nonstandard. Is it somehow lossy, like .jpgs? Also, I noticed if you remove the .ico and restart, the .exe still has the new icon. Does that mean the .ico doesn't actually need to be present in the final download? Thanks, hope someone here knows the answers!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#5]
Put your ico file in the same folder with your exe. Do not replace the original exe, keep it as debug exe, only change the icon when you release the game and do it via "Save As" not replacing the original.

Mahan(Posted 2008) [#6]

Windows still showed the same Modified date, and the icons were still in the same wrong state. Then I tried using Save As and giving it a new name, and it worked perfectly.

Although I don't got any experience with resource hacker, I have played around with .ico'ns and from my experience windows keeps a icon cache somewhere, and when changing and icon inside an existing file sometimes makes this cache dirty i.e. Windows shows the old icon because it haven't realized that the .exe-file is updated.

At least its a plausible explanation for the symptoms you described.