Introduction- Tuna Oddfellow

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/Introduction- Tuna Oddfellow

Tuna Oddfellow(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello fine Blitz people,

I am brand new to Blitz 3d but no stranger to 3d modeling, graphic design & particle effects.

My friends call me Fish or Tuna. I am a graphic designer who does odd things in the virtual world Second Life.

The short version is I do a three dimensional hallucination called Tuna Oddfellow's Oddball. I am a virtual world entertainer and professional magician. My virtual art and special effects have gotten me very well known for what I am doing. Feel free to google Tuna Oddfellow, there is a lot on who I am and what I do. It's actually kind of surreal. If by chance you are in Second Life, give me a shout. The show defies description.

As a magician, I find it impossible to leave well enough alone. In Second Life I am always going under the hood breaking things apart and creating new alternatives.

My love of creation has ultimately led me to want to create my own 3d environments and stand alone particle shows. Ultimately, this has led me to Blitz3D & Particle Candy.

My primary goal is to create 3D and 2D particle displays that may also play with primitives and physics in the objects in the environments. While I understand some basics about scripting objects, programing is still very new to me. I am an exploratory learner who loves to play.

What is the best way to start here? What advice with some one eager to explore particle candy to it's fullest? What else can you all tell me about the community here?

Thank You,

Tuna Oddfellow

http://npirl.blogspot.com/2008/02/tunas-trippy-textures.html

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#2]
WELCOME!!!

hmmm... wow thats interesting... a magician that wants to learn to program. :)

I guess I will speak for the commmunity
I think you will find the community here is very helpful and has no shortage of answers for the questions you throw at them. I dont know much about particle candy but I think if you look over some of the tutorials and examples that come with blitz you will get the hang of it... just dont be afraid to mess around and try somthing new! :)

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Something tells me, you will be the best friends with WERDNA.

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#4]
haha :), i think you're right Mortiis. :D

welcome Tuna!

puki(Posted 2008) [#5]

Is this you?

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#6]
I second that question... hmmm... ive seen some youtube videos with you in them if that is you. I enjoy watching magic tricks on youtube sometimes.

Tuna Oddfellow(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yes that would be me. The woman on the left is my partner in crime, Shava. Together our world is always magic. I started doing magic when I was knee high to a grapevine.

The image here, was of me performing at Harvard's Berkman Center for Internet and technology. I did what folks are calling the first "mixed reality" magic effect. A spectator selected a playing card from a shuffled deck. Then, my Second Life Avatar Tuna Oddfellow who was on a big screen on the wall revealed the card on a psychedelic graphic display. All without me touching the computer that was projecting Second Life.

Back in 2005 when I became an early adopter in Second Life, my love for graphic design and magic created a logical progression for me. I asked the question, how do we create a sense of wonder in a world where the first thing people learn how to do is fly. I created a show in 3D space involving particles, psychedelic textures and scripted primitives.

I am so glad to see that we have an active community here. You never know what a community will be like till you start getting replies. Thank you for being awesome. I have a feeling this group and I will be hearing a lot from each other.

Talk to you Soon,

Tuna-Fish

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#8]
From looking at your blog Tuna and seeing the textures, I am guessing you are a fellow Deadhead?

Tuna Oddfellow(Posted 2008) [#9]
Nope, just more or less married to one. Shava has seen them. She has been part of a list of fans for many years, too.

I like the music of the Dead, and certainly hear lots of it. But I am not what you would call a Deadhead. The art is also something I groove on. I have a few of Jerry's ties. Some people who have seen my virtual world show have compared it to the second half of a Dead Show.
It's really been trippy developing a psychedelic experience. We are even getting a nice fan base for what we doing with the art. Ir is an art form that has taken over, we really love what we are creating.

I say we, I create all the art and Shava who is the wordsmith, creates dialog and helps to keep to Odd Ball flowing. With out her the show would not have the flow that it does.

Yours In Magic,

Tuna

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nice. Welcome man. Particle is a pretty complete and robust solution for particles in blitz3d. Do you have any coding experience at all?

Tuna Oddfellow(Posted 2008) [#11]
My coding experience is limited to understanding enough of Linden Scripting Language to do maintenance with existing scripts. I have been playing with LSL just enough to be dangerous. It means I am more comfortable than many newbs with trying things out but I am gonna have to learn most of this from scratch.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#12]
so is there anything you need help with? or anything you dont understand about b3d so far? I will be glad to help :)

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#13]
yeah man, ask away

Tuna Oddfellow(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thank you Nate and mtnhome, So far it seems straight forward. I have Blitz3D & Particle Candy. I also found some free GUI to go with Particle Candy; candy store and candy factory. I also ordered Blitz3D Programming Manual. It seemed like a good idea to have a text to learn from as well.

I imagine that will have questions as I get deeper into the workings. I am an experiential learner so I have been playing with the data of programs and learning what happens if I tweak a line here and there. I also have begun the Blitz Basic Tutorial. I had learned a tiny bit of basic back in the 80's (yes that was a long time ago). My first computer was a commodore 64.

If you have any favorite resources or what not, point me towards them. I will keep the group posted on my progress.

Thanks,

Tuna