slower???

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Beginners Area/slower???

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#1]
hi I have heard many people say that blitz 3d is "slower" than bmax and I was just wondering what exactly is slower about it? Are for next loops slower are if then statements slower? is it only the 2d command set that is obviously slower? what I am asking is what is slower about blitz 3d besides the obviously slower 2d command set?

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#2]
Everything. BlitzMax just compiles faster code, so program execution in general is faster. It's not about particular commands and indeed in theory the odd command here and there could be slower, or work differently, but the compiler is better, more optimized, so code just runs faster.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#3]
okay thanks hmm... I guess that will be one more reason to buy max 3d whenever it comes out :)

stayne(Posted 2008) [#4]
This helped me out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_programming_language

Quote:

"High level programming features like more generic data structures, run-time interpretation and intermediate code files often result in slower execution speed, higher memory consumption and larger binary size [2][3][4]. For this reason, code which needs to run particularly quickly and efficiently may be written in a lower-level language, even if a higher-level language would make the coding easier."

Perhaps bmax is compiling closer to machine language?

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#5]
Bear in mind that, for a lot of projects, the speed optimizations may not be large enough to be noticable to the end user. For graphics based programs, the wait for vertical blank can also act as a buffer which will soak up minor speed advantages from optimization.

The main speed advantages that might be gained from switching from Blitz3D to BlitzMax would be where the language can take advantage of more advanced software and hardware features, such as 64 bit architecture, hyperthreading, multiple cores, etc.

Jasu(Posted 2008) [#6]
I've heard quite the opposite, that B3D is faster than bmax.
I don't have facts on this since I own only B3D.

OOP languages weren't introduced as being faster to execute, but as more manageable. For example C isn't faster than C++ if you compile C program with C++ compiler, but a program created with C vs. program created in C++ using OOP features... well, I think C might be a little faster. Though B3D vs. bmax is a different story than C vs. C++.

Until someone proves otherwise, I'd like to think B3D is faster. :)